Talk

Advanced search

Miscarriage at 7 weeks - do I need to go to EPU to check if it is "complete" or is there another way of finding out?

(8 Posts)
BeattieBow Wed 13-Jul-11 11:00:45

that's it really - I would rather avoid the EPU if possible, but don't want to be stuck with an infection requiring an erpc in a few weeks.

Would a negative pregnancy test be conclusive that the mc is complete or do I need to go to the EPU?

BeattieBow Wed 13-Jul-11 11:01:54

or are there other signs that the miscarriage was complete?

schobe Wed 13-Jul-11 12:57:20

For me, the bleeding/clots stopped and I just kept an eye out for any dodgy symptoms, eg pain, high temp, nasty discharge.

Then I tested every two days or so until I got a negative pregnancy test. Actually I think it only took a few days as my bfps were never strong.

Do go to epu if anything is worrying you or you have a history of stuff going awry though.

I'm so sorry, I know how you feel and it's vile.

LIG1979 Wed 13-Jul-11 13:24:14

Sorry Beattie for what you are going though.

After my Mc, I got a bfn after 4 weeks but still had a tiny bit left on a scan and eventually 6 weeks after the mc finished had to have an ERPC. It should have eventually gone on its own but I was fed up of waiting as I wouldn't get an AF until it was all gone. (Having said that I think my incomplete miscarriage is not how it normally goes but it is a possibility.)

beckmo Tue 19-Jul-11 21:45:37

You don't have to go to the epu. I spoke to my Dr and midwife when my epu had no spaces to see me. They both said they never used to do scans when someone had or was losing a baby before 12 weeks.Keep an eye on yourself and I hope you are O.K.

BeattieBow Wed 20-Jul-11 09:55:00

thanks all.
I did have a mc last year that went quite wrong, but it was later so bleeding was much heavier.

This seems to have tailed off now although my last pg test 2 days ago was still positive. I won't go to the epu though (as I don't want to after last year's awful experience) and will just look out for symptoms of infection etc.

EmotionalMess2011 Sun 24-Jul-11 18:34:50

Hi, I really would go get checked if you can, just to make sure! there probobly is nothing to worry about, its just thank after i had my two mc i stupidly never went back to hospital for any checks to see if they were complete (even tho i was in alot of pain, and had drs/midwives calling me) and just left it at that, now i am pregnant again (26 weeks) and it has been a huge stresser for me, thinking all the time "what if something is still wrong in there, what if i have opened my baby to infection" ect ect It just adds another pressure that i dont think you need xx

2moggies Fri 05-Aug-11 05:48:31

I think if you've stopped bleeding, feel fine and have a negative test result then you are almost certainly fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now