Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Start HRT today...!

(6 Posts)
Draylon Thu 19-Jan-17 11:53:34

I've been given (or rather, paid £16 for grin):
Utrogestan tabs 100mg taken continuously
Estradot patches 50mg

A question- with the progesterone, you're supposed to take them on an empty stomach; the leaflet suggests 2 hours after eating- is just before bed a good idea or might it mess with my already tenuous sleep?

I am quite excited but also nervous. I want HRT to transform my life but I know it won't, as such, but maybe, just maybe, getting better sleep, not drowning in sweat and possibly getting up out of this 'can't be arsed' rut might help me regain my mojo?

And thus possibly help me regain some motivation and use hobbies and exercise as relaxation, not a stiff glass of wine?!

PollyPerky Thu 19-Jan-17 13:22:38

I'd take the 'not with food' with a pinch of salt smile

I asked my consultant who did some research in it and he says it makes no difference either way. The reason for them saying on an empty stomach is that more is absorbed with food than without, so presumably it's to reduce possible side effects some women have.

I take mine at bedtime anyway (200mgs) because that dose can make you dizzy and slightly sedated. 100mgs is a lot less but you might find it helps you sleep taking it before bed.

Draylon Thu 19-Jan-17 20:32:22

Thanks! I was wondering how I could have an empty stomach other than last thing at night grin!

Bluejeans66 Mon 30-Jan-17 22:05:25

Hi Draylon. I have just started the same prescription as you and have been searching the Internet tonight for some information. I too am hoping it will help with exactly the things you described but especially mood swings (at home) and concentration (at work). I'm only 3 patches in so week 2 but I have been suffering more intense and frequent hot sweats since and I wonder if this is just the initial impact of the change in hormones levels.

Draylon Mon 30-Jan-17 22:58:22

Blue good the hear from a fellow traveller. I'm 12 days in, now. I had one 'major' hot-sweat at work today, a minor one since I've been home, last night was a roller coaster of difficult sleep and strange dreams!

However, I have a 20 week plan starting in a week or so's time. The idea is to test HRT via clean living (ha, Gwynnie!)/exercise/ minimal alcohol etc. I am still not 100% sure what I will and won't do, but I would like to know what factors improve my well being, which are placebos.

I am needing to separate out what affect what in my life.

Please keep posting!

PollyPerky Tue 31-Jan-17 08:18:47

If you plan to test HRT compared with a healthier lifestyle, that presumably means you are going to stop the HRT?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now