Advanced search

why is a compliance officer coming for home visit?!

(33 Posts)
katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 18:53:03

i received a letter today sayin a compliance officer will be visiting me at home on such and such date between 9-3 and they cant specify a time, i need to have a passport or driving license for identification and if i have ay changes to report i should phone bla bla number?! what?! funnily enough my ex partner got the same letter today to his address at his mums?!
he doesnt licve with us, he pays her rent to stay there, but tbh hes here alot seeing the kids. i live in a tower block in which he has friends so hes in the area alot too!
i dont understand why they would come out,
i had this last year too and they came out asked me if i had any changes then left?
whats going on please helpme im so paranoid im gunna be left with no money when theyv been and its really upsetting me :'( sad

FannyBazaar Sat 02-Mar-13 20:33:19

If he's getting mail sent to your's, send it all back marked 'not at this address', if you just hand it to him, he won't make the effort to change his address.

lubeybooby Fri 01-Mar-13 20:33:39

It needs to be declared so it's accurately recorded where that money in the bank is coming from every month. Basically to prove it isn't from working or anything.

coribells Fri 01-Mar-13 20:27:52

why does maintenance need to be declared ? as far as I recollect maintenance doesn't effect any benefit claims. I don't think the OP is in big trouble. I know from working in social housing it's pretty hard to get someone's name of a tenancy if they don't agree.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 01-Mar-13 09:19:24

Citizens advice!

Agree you need him off tenancy.

Ignore these suspicious people who say you shouldn't let him in the house this often. It is your kids home and they are lucky their father bothers to visit them this often.

Agree with pp who said " if he doesn't live there it's easy to prove"
Let them see your bedroom (one sniff and you can tell if a man shares that room *bleurgh!) your toothbrush holder, your shoe and coat rack etc. Be totally upfront with them including telling what ca say about getting him off tenancy.

If your still worried, keep a log. Arrived this time, left this time. If you get super uncontrollably paranoid set up a webcam in your hallway smile

Babyroobs Thu 28-Feb-13 22:00:25

If you split in 2010 it does seem rather a long time to still have him on the tenancy in 2013.

lubeybooby Thu 28-Feb-13 21:06:29

OP sod the exact wording of the letter you need to prove he is living at his mums or you are going to be hauled over the coals for benefit fraud.

as it stands at the moment, you are potentially in big trouble.

Simple as that.

Please get some support in getting him OFF your tenancy and credit record with all the claims at your address.

Any money he gives you needs to be in with the maintenance for the children and declared, and confirmed in writing by him and possibly with bank statements too.

coribells Thu 28-Feb-13 21:02:46

I had an investigation from tax credits, because my ex had some credit accounts still connected to this address. My flat is in both our names ( we own it) we are separated not divorced, he also he here several times a week at least 3-4 times . where he live is not suitable for the kids to visit, it's not ideal but it's the situation we shave to manage so he can see th boys. I explained everything to that tax credits. I even told them that he stays over occasionally ( sleeps in my sons room) and they were ok with this . especially when I explained we were never ever getting back together. ;)

katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 20:53:33

the letter doesnt say theres a cncern with my claim just says to discuss my claim. most ppl have writeen on forums that theres say a concern :s i no tbh i wish i neever met them sad

Babyroobs Thu 28-Feb-13 20:46:37

Well it's going to get really complicated if you swap homes with his mum lol ! If he is registered there for anything, they will still think you are living together lol !

katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 20:39:47

the flats joint, so once iv got the letter from him its mine basically,but im waitin to exchange with his mum as shes in a 3 bedroom house just her n her sons shes given them notice to leave and wants my 2 bedroom flat, i put his name on the form as hes on tenancy but put on there hes not living i just wasnt sure what to put..
if i go out i go to the shop or school not for hours on end. the last time they came they asked if we was together, i told them no as we havnt been since 2010 and they just asked if i was gettin maintence and if i knew to claim as a coupple if we got back together. i dont know hwo would report me for something ? if he had things delivered here he certainly wouldnt get them id return to sender tbh.
if i leave this flat (give it back to council) they wont help me any further as iv given up my home myself

Babyroobs Thu 28-Feb-13 20:38:08

I wouldn't worry too much. A married couple living on our road split and she started claiming as a single parent and he moved to his mums, He visited the house every single day 4-8 then went to his nightshift . He stayed at the marital home from fri am when he finished his last nightshift to sun pm every single week, he slept with his wife, ate together etc. They were reported for benefit fraud but nothing was done. It carried on like this for 2 years until he found a new partner and stopped visiting the house. All this time she got generous tax credits, he got his wage, nothing was done. never kn

MN044 Thu 28-Feb-13 20:28:10

So you go out by yourself leaving the children with him in your home. I can see why there might be confusion that needs clearing up. All mail relating to his benefits is going to his mums house. So they already have that address. From the sounds of it, his mum is also on benefits and claiming to be living alone. What a mess. OP you need to be upfront with them about the whole thing and put a stop to it. He has no right to apply for loans against your property. Are you not worried that he could be having things delivered there when you're out? I would be. If the flat was his then tbh I think you really need to make a move out of there. Can you find a private let to move you and the dc into?

freemanbatch Thu 28-Feb-13 20:26:29

I've had a letter questioning my single parent situation and I've been worried about how I prove things to them but the thing my very sensible friend told me was, if he isn't living there you will be able to prove it so relax and just answer the questions they have.

good luck

katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 20:07:46

his mum will say she lives alone but lets him stay occasionally and i no exactly were she will say he is, at his mates were literally everyone stays for days on end. on paper the move is for both tenants but i did write on there that he doesnt live with me but he was the main tenant when we was together so i wasnt sure wether to put his name on it.
they came a year ago and just asked about my situation, we split in 2010 but have since been good friends. its not everyday hes here as i go out to visit friends/fam 3 days a week.

littlemisssarcastic Thu 28-Feb-13 19:52:18

So your ex comes and stays with you and your DC all day, he gives you lump sums of money every so often, but more importantly,
He is on your tenancy and you have applied for an exchange to move which, on paper, is for both of you as joint tenants.
He has applied for various loans stating your address as his address and debt collectors also believe he lives with you, hence why they are writing letters to him at your address.
You say his mum probably wont admit he lives with her either.

Does he have any concrete proof to show a compliance officer that he is living at his mums?

Where do you think his mum is going to say he is living?

Babyroobs Thu 28-Feb-13 19:50:28

Just be honest with them , it sounds like you have done everything you can.

katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 19:46:26

his letter wen to his mums house were he lives.
no he doesnt come round 8am-8pm more like afternoon till bedtime and no i go out, kids cnt really go to his mums his brothers a alcoholic abusive soo no
and iv said stop applying for loans to my house he doesnt care there all about money
to be removed from tenency he has to write a letter saying he wants to be taken off butlike i say refuses says its his flat and that if it wasnt for him we wudnt of got it
iv told tax credits he doesnt live here as they did a credit check.. i no hes applied for about 20 loans at this address as i get the junk mail

Babyroobs Thu 28-Feb-13 19:40:59

He should take the kids out to see them or take them to his mums. Spending all day every day together will look more like you are a couple. Are you in the flat when he is there all day ?

MN044 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:40:11

But he IS claiming he lives there if his letter got delivered there. What am I misunderstanding? It IS weird to let your ex come over in the day. Especially one who sounds so controlling and unpleasant.

MN044 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:38:44

And yet you continue to let this man into your home everyday? Sod that. Let this be the catalyst to sorting this out. No more strolling in and out when he pleases. Get his name OFF the tenancy. If he's claiming benefit from his mum's address you can already prove he's not resident and get him off the tenency. If he refuses, then he'll be the one commiting fraud. If I were you, I'd call the number on the letter in the morning and ask for their advice. I'm sure you'll feel better getting it all in the open and they can point you in the right direction.

Babyroobs Thu 28-Feb-13 19:38:25

The cash may be a problem, although I don't think they look at maintainence. Applying for credit at your address could definately be a problem you need to be careful as it looks like he still lives there and you could be done for benefit fraud. Tell him he has to stop applying for these loans.

katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 19:38:12

hes on the tenency bcos he reduses to remove his name.. iv asked so many times. the council no this and housing benefit is my name not his
hes here in the daytime with the kids whys that odd? its just like havin a mate over for the day
i havnt moved the exchange got declined and his mother hasnt put his name on her claim so hes living there and shes not declaring it so no doubt shel tell them shes alone,
they can even look in my flat, they wont find anything i bagged it all up months ago

katieNbump Thu 28-Feb-13 19:33:35

no letters come here except debt collectors!! hes on tenancy as he refuses to give up the flat he thinks its 'his' LOL
he gives me cash here n there but alot of the time he borrows money from me so pays it back to me in lump sums.
he applies for loans at my address all the time seems to think hel get them if hes states he lives here (wrong)
no names on anything except tenancy like i say everything else is mine

MrsSham Thu 28-Feb-13 19:31:26

Why is he on the tenancy if he is not living there, that may be an issue when claiming benefits as a single parent.

MN044 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:30:28

I had a home visit after I moved house, they were purely doing a routine visit to check I'd not moved in with a partner I suppose. The woman who came here was lovely. if your ex recieved the same letter do I assume he's on benefits too? But claiming to be living at his mums even thouh your tenency says that you both live at your place? I'll bet that's what's thrown it up. It does seem odd that he's there every day though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now