Talk

Advanced search

Breaking the Stereotype!

(9 Posts)
rainstopsplay Fri 17-Jun-11 07:57:02

I am a single parent and full time professional with a mission to prove its possible to be happy, creative and to contribute to society, to help towards breaking the stereotypes of single mums. As part of this me and my 3 year old daughter are running the Race for Life next weekend and aiming to raise £500 for 5k which is a marathon for her!! We would appreciate anything you can donate towards our target. The link is:

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/ruthcwells

It would be great to hear what other single parents are doing too!

Love Ruth & Nadia

toptramp Fri 17-Jun-11 08:17:39

I'm doing Race for life too as mum has cancer. Keep up the good work. I also have a (shock horror) job!

BooBooGlass Fri 17-Jun-11 16:53:29

How exactly is running the Race for Life breaking any type of single parent stereotype? I am truly baffled.

BooBooGlass Fri 17-Jun-11 16:54:04

ANd these threads with the 'sponsor me' links irk me more than I can say

allthewaystogo Fri 17-Jun-11 17:12:17

I find that on MN, the majority of single parents are working, have 2-3 children and are back to dating/co-habiting with a new man within two years of the break-up.

So I suppose I'm breaking the stereotype by still being out of work and living as a lone parent of one child after fourteen years. grin

I've never done Race for Life but I know a handful of women who have and all but one of them is a single parent!

Amieesmum Fri 17-Jun-11 17:44:08

Have been a single mummy for 7 years, Have worked full time for 5 of those years - Only gave up and started PT when DD started getting poorly 18 months ago.

Since i had DD i have been fighting the stereo type of "teenage parent" as well Single parent. We're not all what the media makes us out to be.

Reality Fri 17-Jun-11 17:50:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reality Fri 17-Jun-11 17:51:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaggyHairyArse Fri 17-Jun-11 18:52:32

PMP at the breaking of stereotypes by participating in a short jog, I do that every day on the school run...

As for having jobs breaking stereotypes, I think it is the norm for single parents to work. So I will break the stereotype on this thread as I don't work, but I am at college ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now