Talk

Advanced search

Another teenager loses their life in a stabbing in London

(12 Posts)
SquirmOfEels Mon 08-May-17 18:40:58

The sixth this year sad

And then the non-fatal stabbings. And those where the victim is older than teen.

It seems as if nearly every day there is news of another attack. And some of the headlines are lurid.

I've started to worry for my teens like I never had before.

Is it really a rise? Or is it a change in what is reported?
(or just me seeing every report as confirmation of my perception)

RoseAndRose Mon 08-May-17 18:53:54

There's also an upswing in the number of muggings where the attackers are on mopeds

This BBC article describes a spate of incidents in Battersea (which of course is described in terms of it all happening near Prince George's school)

SquirmOfEels Tue 09-May-17 07:04:21

www.london.gov.uk/city-hall-blog/knife-crime-summit-2016

Sadiq Khan launched a new knife crime strategy in autumn last year. Something seems to have gone very wrong.

SquirmOfEels Fri 19-May-17 13:23:08

I've just seen an account of the death of a 20 year old

www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/young-man-stabbed-to-death-in-front-of-girlfriend-after-leaving-cinema-in-romford-a3543061.html?amp

14 dead (all ages) in 4 weeks

NoLoveofMine Sat 20-May-17 01:23:20

Gang related.

London is one of the safest places to stroll around as a young person in the world.

Holland00 Sat 20-May-17 01:26:06

Really No love? Out of interest what makes you say that?

NoLoveofMine Sat 20-May-17 01:27:14

As a percentage of the population there's more violent crime in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol, Oxford, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Brighton...

NoLoveofMine Sat 20-May-17 01:27:41

The Met Police is also the best equipped and has the best response time. The conviction rate for most violent crime is also best in London.

NoLoveofMine Sat 20-May-17 01:29:47

And that's without even comparing London to cities like New York, Chicago, Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid...where crime is far, far higher.

Holland00 Sat 20-May-17 01:32:31

Those comparisons yes, but just not sure if agree with one of the safest places in the world.

The crimes/violence we hear about/gets reported isn't the true amount.

NoLoveofMine Sat 20-May-17 01:34:05

There's far more crime in all those cities I mentioned, statistical fact.

There are some dangerous areas of London but there are some ultra safe areas. As a city on the whole, London is one of the safest.

SquirmOfEels Sun 21-May-17 19:08:33

Yes, the crime stats have been low for a while. So I'm left wondering if this cluster is simply random, or if it (and all the moped attacks) are a sign that crime levels are rising.

And what it means about Khan's (post-summit) approach to crime and knife crime in particular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now