Advanced search

German version of EHIC - help!!!

(5 Posts)
JennyWren Tue 21-Jul-09 19:54:16

I have put this in childminders/au pairs etc., but thought this might be a better place - sorry for the double posting!

Our first au pair is arriving next weekend and I went into my GP today to pick up the forms for her to register at the practice. The forms say that she needs to show her EHIC card. I know what that is, but will she? She is German - is the card known by the same name in German?

Any help gratefully received!!


MmeLindt Tue 21-Jul-09 21:50:32

She needs to ask her Krankenkasse for the card, it is called the EHIC in Germany too. They should know what she means (although I had to google it as I had no idea that they had replaced the Auslandskrankenschein with a card). I have never been asked for it in UK though.

fruitscone Tue 21-Jul-09 21:50:49

It's called the 'Europäische Krankenversicherungskarte' and she will get it from her health insurance company.


fruitscone Tue 21-Jul-09 21:51:44

cross posts!

JennyWren Tue 21-Jul-09 22:01:35

Thank you both! I have e-mailed her - hopefully she'll either have one already or be able to get one in time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: