Advanced search

finding the right healthcare in France

(8 Posts)
1dilemma Mon 15-Jun-09 01:10:12

I'm just wondering about this following on from another poster and thinking about holidays.

Please can someone tell me how it works, if you are in France and a dc gets say an ear infection how do you find out where to go?

Suppose it is appendicitis, do you just go to any decent sized hospital?

Suppose you see a car accident what is the 999 equivalent?

Thanks very much
(Planning on using EHIC rather then private health care)

BriocheDoree Mon 15-Jun-09 14:06:48

Oddly enough, I'm covered by French SECU and had to use my EHIC card last time I was in the UK.
The equivalent of 999 would usually be 18 (firemen) or if in doubt 112 is the EU-wide emergency number.
For an ear infection, I would guess any "généraliste" (GP) or "pédiatre" (paediatrician). Bear in mind that in France you pay up front for your care and would subsequently have to claim back from NHS (I imagine). Doctors around here (Paris region) generally cost between 25 and 50 euros. For accident and emergency I was billed about 12 euros, the one time I had to take DD. Couldn't say for appendicitis what they would charge you but certainly any A&E dept. Perhaps someone who holidays in France rather than living here could chip in...?

frAKKINPannikin Mon 15-Jun-09 20:37:02

I would say the first port of call for anything minor is a pharmacy - the French sell lots of things over the counter!

1dilemma Wed 17-Jun-09 00:26:13

Thanks guys didn't know about 112!

(we know where they gie the drugs too frakkinP! grin)

frAKKINPannikin Thu 18-Jun-09 14:09:50

*floats around in a happy cloud of over-the-counter-medication*

My inner natural-therapy lover is horrified by the amount of crap they hand out if you ask for it - and the tendancy to take something for everything, no matter how minor!

thereistheball Mon 22-Jun-09 11:44:27

BriocheDoree - do you know how you go about claiming back from the NHS? We've just moved here and my husband is on an expat contract so does not pay Social Security in France. I haven't been able to find anyone here who can explain the process of getting set up with a family doctor here for someone in my situation. Thanks!

ruddynorah Mon 22-Jun-09 11:48:23


ruddynorah Mon 22-Jun-09 11:50:43

france specifics

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: