Talk

Advanced search

Help! I miss Radio 4!! :((

(26 Posts)
Empressa Sun 10-Apr-16 11:47:41

Can anyone advise whether it's worth me buying a digital radio to pick up R4 in mid Germany?

I've just been "home" for a few days and if I can somehow get R4 in Germany I think it would make it feel more like home.

<sniff sniff>

Threesoundslikealot Sun 10-Apr-16 11:48:19

You can listen online!

Helenluvsrob Sun 10-Apr-16 11:50:49

Listen on line. Can you get the appt to work on your phone/tablet? It's bril

Empressa Sun 10-Apr-16 11:51:49

I thought bbc Iplayer didn't work abroad? Is it different for radio?

Thank you!! smilesmile

AvaCrowder Sun 10-Apr-16 11:52:56

Can you get it through your tv?

SealSong Sun 10-Apr-16 11:53:25

If you have an iPad or iPhone you can use the TuneIn app

Threesoundslikealot Sun 10-Apr-16 11:59:24

Radio Iplayer is different to TV. You don't pay a licence fee for radio. The BBC site and app work worldwide. Enjoy. wink

Getabloominmoveon Sun 10-Apr-16 12:07:24

I work in Italy during the week and start my day with R4 via the BBC iPlayer Radio app. Archers in the evening of course.

Isthiscorrect Sun 10-Apr-16 18:17:14

We can't get the BBC here so use TuneIn. It's fab. Any station you like. No need to buy a digital radio.

Empressa Sun 10-Apr-16 19:21:37

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We're flying back tonight.... Looking forward the The Archers tomorrow! smile

SweetpeaToadfoot Sun 10-Apr-16 22:09:18

I love Radio 4 in my kitchen while I'm cooking (France) - it comforts me so I know exactly what you mean. We have a digital radio but I usually just listen online via my iPhone and a speaker smile

SweetpeaToadfoot Sun 10-Apr-16 22:09:29

I love Radio 4 in my kitchen while I'm cooking (France) - it comforts me so I know exactly what you mean. We have a digital radio but I usually just listen online via my iPhone and a speaker smile

mrsmortis Wed 13-Apr-16 16:00:30

You can't always get hold of the iPlayer radio app if you aren't in the UK. So don't be surprised if you can't find the app. I think I had to take the sim out of my phone to persuade it to log me into the UK google store so I could get the app.

But you can always listen via the website.

mrsmortis Wed 13-Apr-16 16:01:14

Oh and the podcasts are available worldwide. Never miss an episode of the news quiz again...

Vaara Wed 13-Apr-16 18:35:01

Thanks everyone!

I've been using TuneIn, and have found it good except that it buffers sometimes so the listening experience isn't continuous. Iplayer seemed to work better and I'm also a Facebook "fan" of R4 so can sometimes play programs through that.

It's not the same as just being able to have the radio on all day in the kitchen though....!

Now, just need to find somewhere that sells the Sunday Times smile

Vaara Wed 13-Apr-16 18:35:28

Sorry, I namechanged!

IwannabeKate Wed 13-Apr-16 18:46:59

Tunein radio app is the best when outside UK. IME only buffers if wifi is crap or you move too far away from router.

Drinkstoomuchcoffee Wed 13-Apr-16 19:22:06

BBC iplayer radio app !

allegretto Wed 13-Apr-16 20:13:23

I like the new BBC Radio app - although the download button doesn't seem to work? I have it on my phone and I am in Italy. If you can't listen via the app you can listen directly from the website.

kittensandgin Fri 22-Apr-16 15:47:22

Very late to the thread but if you also miss UK telly you can watch quite a few channels live via this website: www.filmon.com/group/uk-live-tv

amyboo Mon 25-Apr-16 07:41:14

I use the Wunder radio app to stream radio through my phone and a dock( we're in Belgium). Works pretty well...

crumpeteer Mon 25-Apr-16 22:33:17

Yes, I know what you mean! The BBC iplayer app won't allow you to download outside the UK but everything else works. My phone broke the other day and I couldn't sleep without R4...

Vaara Tue 26-Apr-16 17:52:01

Thanks all for the helpful comments.

Just to update, I'm having loads of success with TuneIn app, really enjoying it and not missing any Archers

UK TV I can live without - in fact I see not having it as a benefit of being abroad smile

Vaara Tue 26-Apr-16 17:52:09

Thanks all for the helpful comments.

Just to update, I'm having loads of success with TuneIn app, really enjoying it and not missing any Archers

UK TV I can live without - in fact I see not having it as a benefit of being abroad smile

Lillipuddlian Tue 07-Jun-16 02:18:20

we have a digital radio in the kitchen. Looks just like a regular radio. I am in Canada and listen to radio4 constantly. good luck. squeeze radio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now