Advanced search

Where do you go for financial advice?

(5 Posts)
complexnumber Wed 24-Jul-13 18:14:44

We are an ex-pat family and are likely to remain so for a while.

Where can we go for financial advice? Where have you found useful?

I hate this side of the job, so I would be so grateful for any tips and insight you may have.

chloeb2002 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:21:48

I think that will depend where you live and factors like what property / income you have from the uk?

complexnumber Wed 24-Jul-13 23:14:58

you are, of course, correct chloeb, it's just that we don't know where to start.

Saltedcaramellavacake Thu 25-Jul-13 04:27:15

In Singapore where we are there are specialist expat financial advisors. You could try googling that where you are, or check in your local expat magazine if you have one. Otherwise, start with where your assets are. If your assets (house, savings etc) are in the UK then it makes sense to at least start with an advisor in the UK, although be aware that some savings/investment schemes won't be available to non-residents. If you have an accountant in the UK he/she may be able to recommend an advisor in the UK. If you need local financial advice (savings and investments or insurance in your host country) then you could start with your local bank. They might be limited to advising you just on their products but at least it would be a place to start.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 25-Jul-13 07:36:11

have you tried the embassy - they might be able to put you in touch with professionals who know local situations ????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now