Advanced search

Back in UK for a few months - registering with NHS?

(13 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Wed 17-Apr-13 16:37:20

DH (who's a US citizen) and I moved to NYC last March. He has a new job in the US starting in August, but from May to July he's going to be an academic visitor in the UK, so we'll be in London for 3 months from May to July, with our DD (18 months). (He won't be getting officially paid, but he will be getting some expenses.)

I'm just wondering if we'll be able to register with a GP for the 3 months that we're there? I had a search around the NHS site, but I couldn't figure it out. Will we be allowed to use the NHS, or would we have to pay fees of some kind? (I'm not planning on having any major operations, I'd just like to be registered in case DD gets ill!)

xyla Wed 17-Apr-13 16:39:12

I think you just have to show your residence permit or whatever he has that proves that he has a right to live/work in the UK. With that he can register with a GP.

cocoplops Wed 17-Apr-13 16:49:54

Had to look this up for my parents (although different country n situation). Looks like you'd be covered for any accident n emergency trips and immediate treatment. But once you were no longer an emergency case you would have to pay for any follow up treatment.

Whether you qualify for nhs care depends on residency. Sounds like you wouldn't be classed as resident so while you could sign up with a gp you'd have to pay. The only thing is whether the us has a reciproc agreement with the uk for healthcare - which it doesn't look like the us do from a link within the link I've linked (lots of links there !!!)

If its for a short period might be worth getting travel insurance to cover it? Or ask the academic facility your DH is visiting for advice.

cocoplops Wed 17-Apr-13 16:50:12

QuintessentialOHara Wed 17-Apr-13 16:51:32

When we returned from Norway we were told we could only register with the NHS after living here for 3 months.

However, there must be some rules for people on short term contracts, maybe the Uni knows?

Vagndidit Wed 17-Apr-13 17:00:47

When we moved to the Uk from the US a few years ago, our GP surgery made a tremendous fuss about making sure we were staying for longer than 3 months (and we did...3 years on and we're still here grin) otherwise they would not be allowed to register us.

reluctantmover Wed 17-Apr-13 19:09:52

sorry but academic visitor is code 3 "visit up to 6 months (or with entry clearance up to 12 months), no work, no recourse to public funds", So no cannot register for regular NHS treatment but like all visitors to the UK, are covered for free in emergencies. More details here.

reluctantmover Wed 17-Apr-13 19:11:28

PS did you previously live in the UK and have ILR? In which case if it's less than 2 years since you left, then you are still on ILR and you simply keep your mouth shut that you've moved!

BabCNesbitt Wed 17-Apr-13 23:30:08

Thanks for all the replies! I suspected that that was the case - will get some travel insurance, then, and hope that DD manages to avoid anything more serious than a cold while we're there.

reluctantmover, yes, I'm a UK citizen and lived there until last year, but I filled in a form when I left with my old GP explaining that I was leaving their practice because I was leaving the country, so I'm not sure that'd work!

mirai Thu 18-Apr-13 05:00:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reluctantmover Thu 18-Apr-13 09:07:55

If you're a British citizen, I assume your husband still has ILR then? If this is the case, he would not be an academic visitor but returning permanent resident. You could always come back as if you're doing it permanently and re-register with a GP and this time when you leave, don't tell them!!! We've been abroad and back for 5 years now and never de-registered, we do actually pay NI still too, so there is no guilt about using the NHS when back.

BabCNesbitt Thu 18-Apr-13 18:58:38

Alas, no, DH was here on a working visa before and never applied for residency as we knew we'd be moving to the US.

Didn't even know about the voluntary expat NI contributions!

reluctantmover Thu 18-Apr-13 19:10:29

well for DH, I'd get medical insurance, as you would as a visitor to the UK, but for the Brits in the family, well up to you how honest you are really, and I personally think it should be one thing a British citizen should get, especially if UK born too, even when home temporarily, I don't like the "entitled" culture one little bit but to me NHS is like a birthright now, rarely used it and immensely proud and privileged when I have.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: