What would you miss about your current location?(60 Posts)
The thread about missing things from the uk and our move to the US in a few months has got me thinking. Where are you now and if you moved soon, what would you miss?
We are in singapore and would miss:
Swimming outside nearly every day
Feeling warm outside nearly every day
Gold class cinemas with food and wine brought to your reclining seat
Amazing thunderstorms with warm rain
Greenery and tropical plants everywhere, even alongside the highways
Monkeys along the side of the road
Beautiful ripe mangoes, papaya, rambutans, fresh Asian greens etc
Laksa, satay and gorgeous South Indian food served on banana leaves for a few dollars
Absence of litter
Cleanliness in everything (esp spotless public toilets)
Everything being 20 minutes drive away
Waitrose food and marks and spencers
I'm sure there's more, and I'm equally sure there's another thread to come on things I won't miss.....
France, just outside Paris:
- Patisseries (especially pain au chocolates and fresh baguettes) on every corner
- The way of socialising: higher importance on food and going to friends' houses rather than going 'out' and/or drinking a lot
- Being able to wander around one of the most beautiful cities in the world: taking in the lovely architecture, sights and river every single day
- Being able, even as an adult, to have music lessons and playing an ensemble for next to nothing, thanks to the subsidised local conservatoires
- Cheap and plentiful wine
- L'heure de l'apero
- The general feeling of more space in and around houses (even in urban areas) compared to the UK. You can really feel and see the evidence that the UK and France have the same population, but France has twice the space...
Stars at night
The smell of gum trees and the sound of cockatoos and crickets
Dragonflies on lazy summer afternoons
The local council pool being crystal clean and having two olympic sized pools for adults and an olympic sized but shallow pool for children with waterslides and fountains
Friendly supermarket people who pack your bags (why don't they do this everywhere? It doesn't take any longer and stops delays caused by shoppers frantically fumbling with opening them!)
Exercise equipment in parks.
Dog water fountains in parks
Huge school playgrounds
Jarrah and karri forests
Summer festivals and outdoor cinemas
The different smell of each season
Old cars done up and used
Lemon trees in the garden as an expectation
Roses that bloom all year (thank you Alister Clark!)
Forcing myself to sign off now ..
Wally DH has just been offered a job there! I thought participating in this thread would be a good thinking exercise to help with the scary decision-making process. Good to know I wouldn't have to give up my coffee and timbits....
You can even get bacon and pork pies in Waitrose...
I am a mere Sleazyjet hour from Gatwick and not a flipping scotch egg in sight!
Weather sense of awe countryside beach sea seafood mountains cheap, good wine feeling alive outdoor life biltong...
I am in NE Scotland. I would miss:
- My friends
- Grandparents just across town and happy to take the kids for school vacations, weekends, etc.
- The jokes
- The laid-back attitude to work, i.e. your job is not your life
- Burns Suppers
- Fish suppers
- Irn Bru!
- The simplicity of the tax system, at least compared to USA
- The simplicity of the health system, especially compared to USA
- A lot of shops, restaurants and bars within spitting distance
- A real maternity leave
- The hills
- The ruins (they are neat )
- Ceilidh wedding receptions
- Kilts as formal wear
- Wild camping
- Access to well-paying jobs, even if you didn't go to uni (oil & gas industry)
I miss Tim Hortons!
Right now we are Egypt and i would miss
The craziness of daily living
Shopping in the souq
Blue skies every day
Sunset fellucca rides on the Nile
Having everything delivered (diapers, groceries, bad wine, cinnabon...)
I wont miss
Traffic - scary as hell
Fruit growing in the garden all year round and access to some pretty cool places (mountains, deserts, ocean) are added to my list
We're in Chile and I would miss
Swimming pool in the garden
Climate, although summers are getting increasingly hotter and I'd gladly swap the intense heat for chilly Canada.
Friends because we've been here 10 years and are no longer "expat" expats, all mine and DD's friends are local.
Getting a kilo of freshly shelled nuts for less than £10.
The house we built, could never afford this much land in UK, although now we can't afford to stay because of the way this economy has boomed since sinking all our assets into building it.
Wildlife - we saw penguins, flamingos and condors on our hols, and OH spotted an artic fox I was in the loo.
Well I live where butterflies is moving to... and we have some of those things here (US).. no monkeys at the side of the road - how about armadillos?
I would miss:
The sun shining every day
tall decaf latte and a lemon pound cake (ok, I think I could get that just about anywhere)
world class hospitals
a huge city and all its amenities on my doorstep
Waits for list of things I wouldn't miss.....
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.