Talk

Advanced search

National Ins for your child

(7 Posts)
IdontknowwhyIcare Sun 26-Jun-11 06:44:15

We live in Dubai and Ds will be 16 in September. According to directgov he will not be eligible for a Nat Ins number, neither will he be able to take his driving test (later obviously).
Is there anyway around this? Does anyone have experience of this please?

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 06:17:08

Won't he get one if/when he moves to England? I am not sure why he would need a NI number if he is in Dubai and he could take his test there I imagine and possibly swap his UAE licence for a Brit one if necessary.

IdontknowwhyIcare Mon 27-Jun-11 08:04:57

Actually I dont know why I thought he would need one. Regarding driving, the age here is currently 18 however I would like him to learn to drive properly. Addtionally we have one of the worst death rates from driving accidents.

This is why I dont want him to learn to drive here!!! Not sure I really appreciate the logic of the speaker but .... http://www.moveoneinc.com/blog/relocations/dubai-proposes-driving-age-limit-cut-2/

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 08:22:29

I've driven in Dubai quite a lot. Albeit 8 or 9 years ago.
If he wants to learn to drive, he could do a crash course in the UK over about a week I think.

IdontknowwhyIcare Mon 27-Jun-11 10:52:50

lol crash course ;-) Yep I think thats is what we will plan for a one week course.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 14:46:56

Don't forget you have to do the theory too. I was astonished by some of the questions and somewhere in the back of my mind I think you have to leave a certain amount of time twixt the two. Maybe not though.

IdontknowwhyIcare Tue 28-Jun-11 06:00:52

Thanks kreecher, we have a while, DS isnt 16 till Septmeber, so I am sadly, more than confident that the driving rules will have changed by next September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now