Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.


(4 Posts)
brightwell Fri 11-Sep-09 18:33:40

I've finally got round to making an appointment with a solicitor to make a will.

Any ideas what I need to take with me, they've said a utility bill, passport & my cheque book. I'm planning on leaving everything to be split between my dc. I'm divorced and I want to appoint my dad as guardian, in the event of my dying before the youngest is 18. Their dad won't like that, but the way I see it, it's best for them to stay in their own home, go to the same school etc.

I'm appointing my younger brother as executor, until dd is 21.

What other info will they want?

noodlesoup Fri 11-Sep-09 18:59:14

Does your dcs father not have parental responsibility? I can't imagine that if my dh died my PIL could take my dcs.

brightwell Sat 12-Sep-09 21:43:02

yes ex has parental responsibilty. He lives 60 miles away, has remarried and has another child. At times his job takes him overseas, in the past for as long as 3 months.

theoriginalmummypoppins Wed 16-Sep-09 13:36:54

In that case brightwell you cannot appoint a guardian over his head. Your ex will be automatically entitled to them and your father would have to go to court to change that and orove that ex was not able to look after them.

Sorry. apart from not much else you will need at the moment unless you have a taxable estate for IHT and then it could be more complicated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: