Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Certified Documents

(13 Posts)
LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 11-Sep-09 10:23:37

How does one get documents certified? If I was in Australia I would get a JP to do it. Is there something similiar in England?

MarmadukeScarlet Fri 11-Sep-09 10:24:45

Solicitor I think, unless you know one you will have to pay.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 11-Sep-09 10:26:14

Really??? I just need someone to say that my license is not fake and it's official.

MarmadukeScarlet Fri 11-Sep-09 10:29:23

OK, maybe I misunderstood.

I was referring to when one has to send/supply a photocopy and often it needs to be certified to prove genuine.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 11-Sep-09 10:58:35

Oh sorry, I am having a day when I am struggling to make sense to myself let alone anyone else grin
I am applying for a Govt job back home. All offical documents need to be photocopied. The photocopied needs to be certified by someone. The someone has to view the originals at the same time to make sure I have doctored them.
Does that make sense? Think I need mroe coffee.

geogteach Fri 11-Sep-09 11:07:20

Hi having lived in Australia I know it is common and straightforward to do there. Here it is something you are not really required to do, I think a solicitor is the answer, I have had documents witnessed (in a role I had for a charity), I was able to walk into a solicitor in town and have it done without an appointment, cost about £5 I think. Otherwise call the CAB and see if they have an alternative?

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 11-Sep-09 11:12:10

Geog - thanks for that. Was thinking I was going to have to send everything home for my parents to do at the local post office!!

fridayschild Sat 12-Sep-09 07:55:59

You can also try a county court, if you have one locally. Or your bank? But most solicitors would do this without fuss or fee.

mumoverseas Sat 12-Sep-09 13:45:06

The original document will need to be checked then photocopied and then certified to be a true copy of the original document and a stamp will be used which says this and it will then have to be signed by the person certifying it.
It has to be done by an 'officer of the court' so either an employee at a local county court or a solicitor/legal executive who are commissioners for oaths. I very much doubt any solicitor will do it for free, they will usually charge £5 per document but may charge a reduced fee if there are lots to certify.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Mon 14-Sep-09 15:13:53

Oh thank you. I will ring the courthouse.

FrazzledFairyFay Wed 16-Sep-09 19:05:56

You can just walk into any solicitors office and ask a solicitor to certify it for you. if I remember correctly, the fee is normally £5 per document, plus £2 for any Appendices / accompanying documents

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Thu 17-Sep-09 21:53:57

Oh dear, and I have about 13 that need signing.

FrazzledFairyFay Fri 18-Sep-09 11:24:40

Some solicitors will charge you less for a 'bulk lot', always worth asking

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: