Advanced search

Child visitation

(9 Posts)
Wolfrose Sat 02-Dec-17 22:36:27

I have two boys 3 and 6 there dad is in prison for child sex offences on my niece there dads parents refuse to believe he did it every time I let them have the boys they allowed phone contact etc with there dad I cut them off now they have threatened to force visitation do I have a good chance at stopping them?

Desmondo2016 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:38:37

I don't believe that grandparents have any legal right to access. I would definitely discuss this with your social worker tho

SparklyMagpie Sat 02-Dec-17 22:42:40

Like above I'd discuss with your social worker but I've always been lead to believe that grandparents have no rights

CinnamonAndSpice Sat 02-Dec-17 22:43:00

They can go for grandparents rights

EnglandKeepMyBones Sat 02-Dec-17 22:43:42

In the U.K, grandparents don't have ant rights pertaining to access of grandchildren. They can apply to the court for leave to apply for access, but it is a costly and lengthy process. As suggested above, have a chat with your social worker, chances are they will agree that removing contact at this stage is in the best interests of the child.

GreatStar Sat 02-Dec-17 22:49:26

They dont have a leg to stand on
They dont believe their sons crimes therefore can never be deemed appropriate to protect your children as indicated by the phone calls

Tinselistacky Sat 02-Dec-17 22:53:12

Grandparents rights can kick in if dc have lived with them for more than 3 years. They aren't in your dc best interests. Ignore them .

namechange2222 Mon 04-Dec-17 07:51:30

I would imagine that given the fact your boys Dad has been sentenced because of child abuse crime, he is not actually allowed any contact with children while he is serving his sentence. He and his parents are breaking the law.
If you phone the prison and inform them they should be able to put a stop to any contact

Collaborate Mon 04-Dec-17 08:53:40

An application for leave to apply, made by grandparents, is neither lengthy or particularly costly. It's dealt with at the first hearing.

OP - if I were you I'd cease contact immediately unless it is strictly supervised. You have no idea what the grandparents are telling your sons about their dad, and they absolutely should not be letting them speak to him on the phone. They have proved that they cannot be trusted. Either you need to supervise that contact (perhaps an hour every fortnight?) or another adult (who you trust to intervene and end contact if necessary) should supervise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: