Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Neghbour has damaged my conservatory roof

(9 Posts)
Flamborough1 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:45:15

In high winds my neighbour used a ladder. The wind blew the ladder onto our conservatory roof causing damage. We told the neighbour who installed the conservatory and he agreed to go and buy the damaged parts from the company. He then came back stating the company does not do the parts. We contacted the company who confirmed that parts where available. They sent an engineer round to assess the damage. The quotation of £223, and for the company to replace the parts, was given to the neighbour. He refused to pay saying it was too much. We agreed that he could fit the parts if the parts was bought from the company who installed the conservatory. He agreed to this, the cost been £98. He is now stating that this is too much and he has got cheaper parts from a different company. We are stating this is not acceptable we want genuine parts from the original company. He stated they are too expensive. We have offered he pays us in two installments, £50 and £48 which he is still not agreeing to. Where do we stand

Collaborate Sat 11-Nov-17 11:56:39

Small claims track in the county court.

Look at this for advice on what your letter before action must contain.

Flamborough1 Sat 11-Nov-17 12:59:44

Thank you for your advice. We agree, it looks like court action is the only way to get the damage replaced to our satisfaction.

UpLighter Sat 11-Nov-17 13:12:26

You may have included legal assistance in your home insurance who could do all the bits for you.
Know it’s not the point but for a small amount like that I prob would just get the parts, fit myself then give the neighbour evils until the end of days grin

Seadragonusgiganticusmaximus Sat 11-Nov-17 13:21:31

It's £100. You own a conservatory so you are probably not on your uppers. Is the amount (or even the principle) really worth the hassle? Also, you'll probably have to declare the dispute if you sell the property. Write it off to experience.

cushioncovers Sat 11-Nov-17 13:25:24

You own a conservatory so you are probably not on your uppers.


worridmum Wed 15-Nov-17 11:14:27

The previous poster is right about that you would have to declare the dispute when you come to sell the home which can and does put some people off.

But on the other hand they are legally responsible for the damage and should pay it hopefully the treat of legal action will make him pay up.

PaintingByNumbers Wed 15-Nov-17 11:17:01

Have you asked your insurance company? Going via them/via your neighbours insurance might work, although I dont know if they would see it as an insured event

QuinionsRainbow Wed 15-Nov-17 11:32:28

If your neighbour has buildings insurance, won't he have Public Liability cover?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: