Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I divorce him?

(4 Posts)
lavent Sat 14-May-16 11:57:41

I would like to file for divorce.

I was married abroad in a civil ceremony about 10 years ago. I walked out on my husband in early 2015 after several years of DV.
He remains abroad and it's difficult to contact him.

I am not in possession of the marriage certificate as I left in a hurry but I have requested a copy from the high commission in London.

How can I divorce this man when he is hard to contact / not compliant though doesn't object to the divorce as such?!

There are no assets and I have the children.

MrsBertBibby Sat 14-May-16 12:53:09

How long have you been back in the UK?

lavent Sat 14-May-16 13:08:57

Since early 2015 so about 16 months.

babybarrister Sat 14-May-16 14:29:33

under Brussels II Revised Article 3 you are entitled to petition for divorce in England and Wales if you have been habitually resident here for 12 months

there are methods of finding other ways to serve a person such as email, facebook etc

go and take some basic advice - have a look at the Resolution website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now