Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House after separation

(2 Posts)
NewStartnamechange Wed 06-Jan-16 23:51:57

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on this please;

I will probably be separating from my partner, with whom I own a house. We have one child. I would like to stay in the family house until my child is older then sell and split the equity. I will be able to cover the mortgage and most of the bills.

Is this feasible even if my partner doesn't want to leave the house? It is big enough to house all of us separately but, i don't think this would be a healthy living arrangement. If I paid the mortgage my partner would be able to afford to rent a place on his own but not for at least a month or so.

Collaborate Thu 07-Jan-16 09:41:48

Under the Children Act the court can make an order allowing that. However if you can sell the house and rehouse yourself adequately with your share of the equity the court would not tie up his half share unnecessarily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: