Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

building soc changed my address without permission

(13 Posts)
BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Mon 04-Jan-16 14:57:07

They changed it to ex h's address. Same name. Have a joint account together that we are going to separate. (Have not done it yet as ex is refusing to accept the permanence of the split) This was my account in my name they changed.

Have yet to go down to the building soc to sort it as I have had the children home over Christmas and they both have additional needs that make going into town difficult at Christmas. How bad is it that they changed the address of my account?

DoreenLethal Mon 04-Jan-16 14:57:51

Very. What did they say when you called them?

TheDrsDocMartens Mon 04-Jan-16 14:59:30

Was it Nationwide? They changed mine to dhs btl flat which was nothing to do with me and sold two years before.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 04-Jan-16 15:01:09

So you have a joint account, and a separate single account, with a building society. And they have changed the address on both accounts?

Presumably your ex has changed the address on the joint account to his address? Does he have proof that you live at that address too? Would he have told them that you do?

Have you told them that you're going to be splitting, and therefore separating the account? They'd usually recommend freezing it in those circumstances, but even if you wanted to keep it open, they'd require both partners permission to make any changes or withdrawals.

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:03:02

Ask them to what I.D. with your new address on it did they use?

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Mon 04-Jan-16 15:18:40

He changed his individual account to his new address. He did not ask them to change mine as the joint accounts are still supposed to be coming here as I was listed as the first account holder.

I have got to go and see them this week.

LurkingHusband Mon 04-Jan-16 16:02:42

Complain to the BS (appropriate abbreviation IMHO).

If not satisfied progress to the Ombudsman. Spend hours detailing your grievance. Wait a long time. Then receive the letter saying that as you haven't lost out (remembering your time costs nothing) they can't uphold your complaint.

Then increase your cynicism marker by 5% ....

DoreenLethal Mon 04-Jan-16 16:17:10

Why don't you call to see what happened first? What with all the difficulty in getting there?

Elledouble Mon 04-Jan-16 16:20:22

This happened to me in reverse. I moved house, changed my address and started getting my ex's bank statements. They were extremely apologetic (recognising that it may give my ex access to my address and it may not have been safe) but ultimately he was the one who had to change his address back, as I couldn't do it for him.

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Mon 04-Jan-16 23:35:12

the difficulty with getting there was a child with hypermobility and a child with autism being off school.

hoping they will be extremely appologetic and get abloody move on when I do go down. I was worried they would ask for proof that I lived there and ahve now moved.

can't get access to the children's DLA either as the card seems to be rejecting too.

pissed off.

titchy Tue 05-Jan-16 08:05:01

Why can't you phone them? Doesn't need a special trip in person surely?

DoreenLethal Tue 05-Jan-16 09:59:57

pissed off

So CALL them!

Fizrim Tue 05-Jan-16 10:06:36

If you have a joint account it is likely that you have given permission for either of you to make changes. I assume either of you can withdraw money from the account, you don't need two signatures?

You'll need to separate the account - which may require him to sign - so probably best to speak to them about it. But if you haven't let them know that you are separate (finance-wise) then why wouldn't they assume that the address will change on both accounts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now