Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I urgently need some legal advice regarding my children!

(13 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Fri 24-Jan-14 09:58:32

I was wondering if there was anyone on here I could pm as I've just received a letter regarding someone who is trying to gain access to my children and I am distraught and I don't know what to do...

prh47bridge Fri 24-Jan-14 10:49:09

Do you mean someone is after regular contact with your children? Are they related to the children?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 24-Jan-14 10:56:02

I think I would be speaking to a solicitor.

Who are the people?

MellowAutumn Fri 24-Jan-14 22:53:23

Without knowing their relationship and some background info no-one will be able to help

SanityClause Fri 24-Jan-14 22:56:48

Unless this person is their parent, it's very unlikely they will be given access to you children.

Go and see a solicitor on Monday. Nothing will happen before then.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 24-Jan-14 23:03:01

If this person is anyone other than the child's other parent, then there's no need to worry - s/he will have no rights of access to the children.

If it is the children's other parent, then spend the time between now and Monday morning putting together all the evidence and information you need to make a case against allowing access. Is there a record of violence/substance abuse/unreliability (ie asking for contact then not turning up)/seriously unsuitable associates (ie wants to take the DC round the local crack dealer's house for a chat).

If this is an abusive individual who you have moved to escape, have a chat with Women's Aid, and if you think there is danger from this person, talk to the local police DV unit as well.

babybarrister Fri 24-Jan-14 23:46:33

Solidgoldbrass is not correct. People other than parents can apply to courts and be successful albeit having sought permission from the courts first

starlight1234 Fri 24-Jan-14 23:50:26

Are you talking relatives babybarrister?

MellowAutumn Sat 25-Jan-14 08:38:31

There are quite a few variations and different familial circumstances! SGB is quite off the mark. OP hope you have sought professional advicesmile

nickymanchester Sat 25-Jan-14 11:23:55

Are you talking relatives babybarrister?

The most typical scenario is grandparents, although other extended family members may also do this

Chunderella Sat 25-Jan-14 11:29:33

Grandparents don't have rights of access as such, but yes with the court's permission they can apply for contact and they sometimes get it. Same with any other family member who doesn't have PR. It's not an automatic thing though and they'd have to make a case. A lot would depend on the nature of the relationship previously- a grandparent who'd seen a lot of the child, particularly if they'd cared for the child on a regular basis, would be in a better position than one who only saw them at Christmas.

curiousgeorgie Sat 25-Jan-14 13:52:21

I have sought legal advice, and am instructing a solicitor. Thanks so much for everyone's advice x

MellowAutumn Sat 25-Jan-14 22:51:14

Excellent op smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now