Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help with divorce costs?

(11 Posts)
stella1w Thu 02-May-13 19:14:53

A friend of a friend is one month away from the final divorce hearing. Her H is abusive and rich. She has no money and mental health issues. She cannot find a barrister who will represent her without money up front and her solicitor has just fired her because she thinks H will not pay costs even if so ordered. I think proceedings were started before the legal aid cuts. I would be very grateful for any ideas on support groups or understanding lawyers she can approach, thanks.

babybarrister Thu 02-May-13 19:54:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stella1w Thu 02-May-13 20:46:23

Thanks. I like the look of red bar..but thought barristers had to be instructed by solicitors?

lostdad Fri 03-May-13 09:06:07

You can now engage a barrister without a solicitor - although you needed one in times gone by.

She can also use a McKenzie Friend. They are a fraction of a cost of most legal professionals and the good ones are just as good (sometimes better).

Good list here:

kittycat68 Fri 03-May-13 09:14:18

McKenzie Friends are not legal proffesionals, and she would need to self rep herself. I am not sure op if she is up to that.

Get a free half hour consultantion with a legal aid solicitor and get thier opion on how to progress.

stella1w Fri 03-May-13 09:52:08

Yes, she is in no state of mind to selfrep and the other side will be represented.

Collaborate Fri 03-May-13 09:55:27

The court now has the power to make interim lump sum and property adjustment orders solely to meet the legal fees of one of the parties.

stella1w Fri 03-May-13 10:30:25

Thanks collaborate, thatis goof to know, will pass that along.

mumblechum1 Fri 03-May-13 11:00:36

As Collaborate says, her best bet may be to apply for an interim lump sum order. This is something her former solicitors should have advised in the circumstances tbh.

Collaborate Fri 03-May-13 13:27:22

It's called a Legal Services Order.

babybarrister Fri 03-May-13 15:53:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: