Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Do you know whether I need a food safety certificate and an environmental health check to make & sell chocolate?

(16 Posts)
LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 22:34:03

confused I can't find anything online.

Thank you.

tazzle22 Wed 24-Oct-12 22:41:40

you would need certainly minimum of a food safety certificate to sell any foodstuffs whether made by you or just sold by you.

.... and depending on where you will be "cooking" you might need EH check ... sorry I dont know enough about it in depth to know the definition of "commercial premisies" as applied to home businesses..... no doubt there will be someone more knowledgable along in a minute ( unless I have x posted with said person lol)

DorsetKnob Wed 24-Oct-12 22:43:34

Yes and yes, definitely need Food safety certificate and as we get checked for EH and run a B&B I would imagine you would need to do si as well. If in doubt get a certificate.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 22:44:03

I can sort that out, thank you smile I'd have to start off at home.

tazzle22 Wed 24-Oct-12 22:47:20

do you know you can do the food safety certificate on line... I did my last three year one that way wink

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 22:51:09

Oh, that's a great idea. Thank you. smile

Imnotaslimjim Wed 24-Oct-12 22:54:16

Yes you do. Just contact your local council, tell them what you're planning on doing and they'll tell you what they need from you. Have a look here for help. If you email them, they'll give you loads of advice

As for the food safety cert, check that you LA allow online ones, as some don't

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 22:58:27

Thank you. I'll scrub the kitchen. If that fails, I'll have to rethink. smile

tazzle22 Wed 24-Oct-12 23:26:25

good point SJ wink

AnitaBlake Thu 25-Oct-12 19:25:20

Your EH dept will be very helpful smile the best delta with the lowest stats are the pro-active ones, they much prefer the path of least work!

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Thu 25-Oct-12 21:31:39

I'd imagine that I need a separate sink for handwashing, which I can't get. All I'd be doing is melting the chocolate. sad

AnitaBlake Thu 25-Oct-12 21:51:04

Definitly worth speaking to EH. I don't know the food regs but if there's a way to help they will find it for you smile

NotaDisneyMum Fri 26-Oct-12 00:18:11

No - you won't necessarily need a separate hand sink - just procedures that prevent x-contamination occurring such as pouring boiling water down the sink between hand washing and dish washing smile

I've got a food safety cert for my home kitchen - the only adjustment I made was to dedicate a cupboard and fridge shelf to 'work' ingredients smile

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Fri 26-Oct-12 11:47:26

smile Thank you. I'll write a business plan, do some costings and get in touch with environmental health. It will be a case of 'melt and mould' to start off with, I'd love to be able to make my own chocolate out of cocoa beans though.

NotaDisneyMum Fri 26-Oct-12 12:05:33

Download a copy of Safer Food Better Business (the one for caterers) - that will give you a lot of pointers on writing up procedures for HACCP smile

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Fri 26-Oct-12 12:52:53

Thank you, I've looked at it already. I remember Cadburys outbreak of salmonella. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: