Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Red Light - Traffic Light offence - Advice appreciated!

(8 Posts)
worryovereverything Tue 02-Aug-11 07:06:51

Did something utterly out of character yesterday and drove through a red light at a pedestrian crossing.

Am totally and utterly mortified and thankful it did not result in someone being harmed.

I'm a new driver and the light was red so there should have been no confusion. Only thing I can think is that I went into pedestrian mode when seeing the red light and proceeded as if it was my right of way. I crossed the line, let a pedestrian cross (thinking it was my right of way) and proceeded whilst light was on red much to the horror of my passenger.

This sounds terrible, I know and am too ashamed to actually admit this out loud!

I know this crossing has ANPR cameras as well as other cameras and am dreading the outcome of this.

Have had a sleepless night and understand I have to wait to see if I am contated but wanted to see if anyone knew of anyone in a similar situation and the outcome?

Was thinking this would be a TS10 but am concerned the penalty could be far worse.

JenniL1977 Tue 02-Aug-11 07:20:01

Urgh. It's easy done, isn't it.
I've got a TS10 on my licence too.
I can't see that they can give you anything more than that though - penalty will be 3 points and £60 fine. I guess the thing that could make it worse was if you nearly hit someone else on the crossing and they make a complaint.
Make sure you ask for the picture, they won't send it as standard. But you never know, the camera might not be working.

Wallace Tue 02-Aug-11 07:26:03

I don't know about the outcome but I almost did this when I was a new driver. I stopped at a red light and then when the pedestrian crossing started to beep I started to move forward - far to used to being a pedestrian! blush

sockpoppet Tue 02-Aug-11 07:45:46

I think you get double points if you are a new driver, but most of those cameras are switched off.

CalamityKate Tue 02-Aug-11 12:31:36

I've been driving for 26 years and I did exactly the same as you, for the first time, about 8 months ago blush

Luckily no camera though.

It's easily done and I'd bet you'll never do it again.

I reckon the worst that will happen is points and a little fine.

AMumInScotland Tue 02-Aug-11 12:35:16

It'll almost certainly just be a TS10 - I had one of those too, though in my case I thought the light had just gone to amber and went through it, but it must have been amber for a while as it was red when I went through.

Points and a fine - and you have to tell your insurance company about it. They probably won't put up your premium though for just the one offence.

Grevling Sun 07-Aug-11 13:07:31

"I think you get double points if you are a new driver, but most of those cameras are switched off."

No, an offence is an offence. Doesn't matter if your a new driver only that you can'd get 6 points inside 2 years or your walking again.

sockpoppet Sun 07-Aug-11 13:41:12

Same difference though. You need half as many points to get banned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now