Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Parking and data protection.

(3 Posts)
fedupofnamechanging Thu 09-Jun-11 11:28:57

Hi, hope someone can answer this for me.

Can a private car park company find out from either police, DVLA or insurance companies who is insured to drive a vehicle or can they only find out who is the registered owner/keeper. Would a company be able to give out this information under the data protection act, if no criminal offence has been committed?

Thanks

Collaborate Thu 09-Jun-11 13:23:41

I think they can only find out the registered keeper. An insurance company might be required to confirm if a car is insured in the event that, say, a solcitor writes to them to say a claim is being made against someone who might be insured with them. You'll have to be more specific with your question.

fedupofnamechanging Thu 09-Jun-11 14:55:23

Thanks for the reply. I really just wanted to know if insurance companies etc can give out names when asked by a private company or if they should refuse to do that under the data protection act. I know they can if a law has been broken and they are asked by the police, but wasn't sure of their position in a civil dispute, where no law has been broken.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: