Talk

Advanced search

Inhaling helium from balloon kills teenager

(9 Posts)
CathyTheMonkey Mon 22-Nov-10 20:46:16

Did anyone else see this story? here Terrible for that poor family.
Has anyone heard of this happening before? I've certainly seen the inhaling party trick to make a squeaky voice done dozens of time. I had no idea it was dangerous shock

claig Mon 22-Nov-10 20:58:01

terrible tragedy. I had no idea it was dangerous either.

TryLikingClarity Mon 22-Nov-10 20:59:43

A very sad story

This girl was from an area about 3 miles from where I live and there have been lots of things on local radio stations and TV about her sad death.

From one of the newspaper articles there have been a few deaths from helium inhalation, but not many - I think 2 other deaths were from older teenagers in England and one was a younger child in USA.

Such a sad loss.

SpotSplatterSplash Mon 22-Nov-10 21:37:15

That's awful. We still do this, I never had an inkling that it was dangerous.

mrsoliverramsay Tue 23-Nov-10 10:51:45

The only reason I don't do it, is in case my voice stays like that forever. I have had that fear since was ten

Ryoko Tue 23-Nov-10 10:58:26

Lack of oxygen isn't it? perhaps he had an underlining heart condition or something that couldn't take the lack of air when he breathed it in too much.

Shit happens I got screwed over by weed, turns out I'm allergic to it, everyones different.

faverolles Tue 23-Nov-10 13:03:52

It's lack of oxygen - if too much helium is breathed in, not enough oxygen is getting into the system.

TryLikingClarity Tue 23-Nov-10 17:57:48

Ryoko - I find your comment a bit rude.

Firstly, the story is about a she, not a he.

Secondly, she was a young teenager who is now dead after a mistake.

A tragedy.

OnceandFutureQueen Tue 23-Nov-10 18:02:14

well, helium is an asphyxiant. It isnt immediately dangerous, just in excessive amounts. And you can feel when youre getting out of breath from it. She really must have done it a lot sad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: