Talk

Advanced search

How many of you have ever checked your cleaner's passport/visa/ work permit.... Honestly....

(9 Posts)
GuiltyToo Mon 28-Sep-09 13:37:28

Until recently we had an Argentinian cleaner.

Before that a Brazilian lady.

Our window cleaner has a non-British accent - think he's a Kiwi.

Have I ever seen sight of any of their documents?

Nope.

Also, shouldn't you be paying NI contributions for supposed 'employees'. Who does that for cleaners?

Nobody I know.....

LadyMuck Mon 28-Sep-09 13:39:38

My cleaner is self-employed. That said I have countersigned her citizenship and subsequent passport application.

RubberDuck Mon 28-Sep-09 13:39:43

"Also, shouldn't you be paying NI contributions for supposed 'employees'. Who does that for cleaners?" - unless they're cleaning your house exclusively, surely they're self-employed and it's their responsibility to deal with the tax office.

theyoungvisiter Mon 28-Sep-09 13:42:41

I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, it depends if they are your employee or if they are self-employed.

My cleaner is self-employed - like a painter or decorator. She works for a number of people and dictates her own times and schedule. I pay her cash and she sorts out her own tax and NI (or not, as the case may be).

If she worked only for me and I dictated her duties - more like a housekeeper - then she would be my employee and it would be my responsibility.

There is some info here on deciding whether someone is employed or self-employed.

GuiltyToo Mon 28-Sep-09 13:44:07

RubberDuck - yes, I suppose you're right. However presumably the 'law' would say that you should have a written contract of terms & conditions etc?

I honestly don't know anyone who does that - everyone around puts a card in the newsagent window, and pays cash in hand. shock

cleanandclothed Mon 28-Sep-09 14:06:09

I go through an agency precisely so that they make sure everything is done correctly.

snapple Mon 28-Sep-09 14:25:25

I went through an agency to ensure everything was ok - but subsequently found the agency was not paying my cleaner the minimum wage - so I pay her direct now.

nauseous Thu 01-Oct-09 13:47:57

i use an agency.. assume they sort all that out.. as never checked a thing!

ConFuschias Thu 01-Oct-09 13:59:37

I have, but mine is a housekeeper, so everything is vert formal and done to the book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now