Talk

Advanced search

So why are dishwasher tablets so very expensive?

(25 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Wed 24-Sep-08 08:37:18

22.9p per tablet. That's madness.

Anyone suggest any that work well but are reasonably priced, please?

tissy Wed 24-Sep-08 08:44:15

tesco own brand 11 p per tablet

silverfrog Wed 24-Sep-08 08:52:40

I always buy the sainsbury's cheapest ones (around 10-11p per tablet). Called something like "3 in 1" in a blue box.

they work just fine.

zippitippitoes Wed 24-Sep-08 08:53:03

i use tesco own brand powder works fine

fishie Wed 24-Sep-08 09:28:45

waitrose own 5 in 1 are 2 for 1 atm.

sameagain Wed 24-Sep-08 09:42:12

Lidl - can't remember the exact price, but less than £2 for 40. is that c. 5p per tab? Never noticed any difference from the dearer ones.

Furball Wed 24-Sep-08 09:44:15

tesco value 5p a tablet!

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 09:44:15

I buy asda ones, when they are on offer I get about a billion boxes

Sputnik Wed 24-Sep-08 15:25:54

Try cutting them in half. I do this, unless we've had fish or something it works fine.

etchasketch Wed 24-Sep-08 15:27:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 24-Sep-08 15:33:02

Sputnik are you in a soft water area? I often wondered about cutting them up. We are in a soft water area and I use less powder for washing clothes than a hard water area (as per the manufacturers instructions on the box) so it had occured to me that i should be able to do the same with dishwasher tabs/powder???

masalachameleon Wed 24-Sep-08 15:35:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsbabookaloo Wed 24-Sep-08 15:36:39

..to encourage you to wash up in the sink instead?

Anna8888 Wed 24-Sep-08 15:38:57

That's hugely expensive shock

I buy Sun tablets and they work out at 16 Euro centimes each and just over 10 centimes on special offer (which I often get).

platypussy Wed 24-Sep-08 15:49:18

Dh's friend (a single dad) dosent use tablets at all. He reckons the heat of the water cleans things adequately.

bobblehat Wed 24-Sep-08 15:56:05

I've found most supermarket own brand ones are fine, but did get some lidl ones (as recomended by which) and find I often have to put it on twice to get things clean.

somersetmum Wed 24-Sep-08 16:18:28

mrsbabookaloo Why would we want to wash up in a sink? Dishwashers are more environmentally friendly, don't you know? They use such little water, this compensates for the electricity used, apparently. grin

mrsshackleton Wed 24-Sep-08 20:35:07

I keep posting this, don't know why they are so expensive but ime cheap ones don't work sad
We had massive problems with our dishwasher when we bought it, nothing was clean and the engineer we called out told me to use Finish tablets not own brand
We did and lo our dishes did sparkle!
Everytime we use something else, because no Finish is available, 'tis a disaster and we have to do the whole wash again. someone said on another thread this is because Finish have more enzymes
I promise I don't work for Finish. am a total tightwad and hate forking out for the brand name but have no choice
We live in a very hard water area though. In soft water it's completely different
Gosh, aren't I a fascinating person to write such a long post on this? grin

Sputnik Thu 25-Sep-08 10:54:35

Flibbertygibbet, we are actually in a hard water area, and I use ecover tabs. If the dishwasher salt levels are ok then everything is fine.

I also use half the recommended detergent in the washing machine no problem. I think they exaggerate so you buy more.

Wandering off topic here a bit, but we recently got one of these to deal with hard water, and it does seem to make a difference.

mrsshackleton Thu 25-Sep-08 14:26:40

ooh flibberty I might get one, as we've tried ecover and its been a disaster. And that's when it's full of salt. we must live in the hardest water area on the planet

WinkyWinkola Thu 25-Sep-08 19:52:22

I bought Asda's own today and they're rubbish. I live in a hard water area too. Maybe that's why.

Furball Fri 26-Sep-08 07:59:21

winky - do you use dishwasher salt as that softens the water, it should be used even with so called 'include salt' tablets.

FourArms Fri 26-Sep-08 10:57:13

Fairy tablets are BOGOF in Morrisons at the moment. They work at out 11p a tablet (or pouch whatever they're called!) that way. My lovely MIL had also picked me up 4 £1 off coupons for Fairy tabs from somewhere, so I bought 4 bags - enough in my cupboard for 6 months now.

mishymoo Fri 26-Sep-08 11:01:40

I use Lidl's W5 tablets and they work fine! We are in a fairly soft water area though!

mrsshackleton Fri 26-Sep-08 11:55:20

that's the other thing the dishwasher engineer told me don't use four in ones they're rubbish and are a big marketing con

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now