Talk

Advanced search

Help - colour running in washing machine!

(9 Posts)
AbbyLou Tue 26-Aug-08 15:12:14

My ds has a stripy top with red and white wide stripes. Today I washed it for the first time in the machine. It said wash as wool so I did. When I went to get it out the red has run into the white and there are pink swirls all over the lovely white stripes. What can I do? Please help, it's brand new and alovely top!

caykon Tue 26-Aug-08 15:14:56

Something similar happened to me and i got something from the supermarket that sorted it, but i can't for the life of me remember what its called.
Take a look in the laundry section it was designed for colour runs
Sorry I can't be more helpful

lucysmam Tue 26-Aug-08 15:25:44

think you can buy something that is literally called 'coulor run remover' in a box like the 'glo-white' stuff you can get for nets if that's any help to you

AbbyLou Tue 26-Aug-08 15:28:08

Thanks I'll have a look in the supermarket. Presumably these thinga are better tackled when still new so I'd better nip out tonight.

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 26-Aug-08 15:39:03

I've use Dylon Colour Run Remover before, but it rarely actually works I'm afraid. hmm
If you've followed the washing instructions and it's new, then I'd return it to the shop.

tissy Tue 26-Aug-08 15:41:59

not much use now, but next time do the first couple of washes COLD- 30 deg or lower, and use a colour catcher (piece of fabric that absorbs any free dye in the machine). You can get these from Sainsbury's (I imagine elsewhere too), and something similar from Lakeland.

tissy Tue 26-Aug-08 15:42:57

colour run remover is ok-ish for removing dye from things that should be white, but not so good for stripes.

AbbyLou Tue 26-Aug-08 15:49:23

I wish I could CSWS but I bought it in the sale last winter for ds to grow into it. It's only 'new' in the sense he hasn't worn it before.

bran Tue 26-Aug-08 15:52:20

Try washing it again at 30 degrees with several Colour Catchers, the dye that ran into the white may run out again and be caught on the Colour Catchers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now