Talk

Advanced search

how do i ge white socks back to being white

(8 Posts)
misdee Tue 29-Jul-08 08:16:34

as atm almost all look grey.

would love pistine white socks for the kids before they go back to school.

dont want to buy more really.

Slouchy Tue 29-Jul-08 08:21:34

ace bleach is good. use as a soak, then add to machine with normal soap powder and run a prewash prog.

choccypig Tue 29-Jul-08 08:21:39

It's too late now. But the trick is, always wash all white things together, with nothing else in the wash except one turquoise t-shirt.. Never even put one that has gone grey in with them. I was given this tip 20years ago (by a manshock), I bought a few new packs of all white knicks, and now I wear them until they fall apart at the seams, but they are still white. (BTW the man wasn't having a go at the colour of my knickers, I just asked how he kept his sports socks so white)

blueshoes Tue 29-Jul-08 08:46:53

one turquoise t-shirt ... what is the rationale for that, choc?

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 08:57:18

the blue acts as an optical brightener
(hence all soap powders having tiny blue bits in, the 'blue bags' our grandmothers used in the laundry etc etc)

blueshoes Tue 29-Jul-08 09:01:23

ah, thanks badger.

cremolafoam Tue 29-Jul-08 09:03:47

nappisan if you can still get it

JackieNo Tue 29-Jul-08 09:06:30

You could try the Dylon whiteners (am sure other companies do them too). But I'd be inclined to re-wash things afterwards to make sure any possible residue is gone, as I'd guess they're pretty strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now