Talk

Advanced search

Best ways to get rid of mustiness in big divan and mattress

(7 Posts)
Rollermum Sat 18-Jul-15 20:32:55

We rent our flat and during colder months have issues with mould. I have worked hard to get of it with dehumidifier, heating, opening windows etc. I also treated the walls and it hasn't returned (yet).

However, there is a slight lingering smell which I think is due to the kingsize bed - either mattress, the base or headboard, I can't tell. I want to deal with this mustiness, which is quite slight, because it is annoying. Also, more importantly, I am expecting DC2 and will probably co sleep again and want to ensure it is as safe and clean as possible.

Any recommendations. I have heard you can steam clean a mattress - but how?! It is a massive beast, really thick! I'm up for hiring a steam cleaning machine if needed.

Llareggub Sat 18-Jul-15 20:35:00

I have no idea but I also have a musty mattress...

Rollermum Sat 18-Jul-15 21:04:11

Actually I just did some googling and found some videos on youtube. Some suggest extra moisture on a mattress is a bad idea, so I might try this first:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkV80Th6DXw

Pinkcloud6 Sun 19-Jul-15 17:36:48

Spay with Zoflora on a very hot day and put it outside.

WingsClipped Tue 21-Jul-15 19:06:03

Bicarb sprinkled all over. Leave for a couple of hours. Vacuum it away thoroughly. Should take away the musty smell.

chocolatespiders Tue 21-Jul-15 23:21:17

Add drops of lavender to some bicarb and sprinkle over the mattress, leave as long as possible and then hoover. It also kills the bed bugs

Rollermum Wed 22-Jul-15 06:22:47

Thanks all! Glad there are some steam alternatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now