Talk

Advanced search

Is it essential to dry clean when label says so?

(6 Posts)
Jemster Thu 20-Feb-14 17:01:10

I bought a dress in the next sale and have worn it a few times for work. It's a tweedy shift type dress. The label says dry clean only which I didn't realise when I bought it.
Is it always essential to dry clean when the label says so or would it be ok on a gentle machine wash?

whereisshe Thu 20-Feb-14 17:05:28

It depends. What is the fabric made of?
I only dry clean things that might lose their shape if washed in water, eg coats. But some weird fabric blends can become misshapen in water.

Jemster Thu 20-Feb-14 17:09:30

It's a mixture of polyester, acrylic, with 1% nylon & viscose. Lining 100% polyester. Awful materials I know but it does look nice and fits me well.

mousmous Thu 20-Feb-14 17:17:05

no, any garment that doesn't survive the washer is not worth keeping anyway.

I would try the delicate or wool cycle with wool detergent, low spin. most stuff comes out ok.

whereisshe Thu 20-Feb-14 18:53:14

With that fabric mix I'd machine wash, but in a garment bag on a delicate cycle (cool), no fabric softener or bio. And hang it up straight away once the wash is done - try on a hanger so it doesn't pull out of shape. I'd guess that the washing instructions are to avoid pilling and hooks in the fabric.

RestingActress Mon 24-Feb-14 13:50:42

I share mousmous' approach, I chuck it in on a delicate cycle, if it comes out ok then I continue, if I ruin it, well, I wasn't going to pay the dry cleaning bill long term so no loss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now