Talk

Advanced search

How long does a feather duvet last?

(14 Posts)
echt Sun 12-May-13 07:15:16

That's it really. When should they be replaced, and can they be re-plumped?

balancingfigure Sun 12-May-13 07:32:13

Years and years if they are good quality. You can get them dry cleaned/laundered to freshen up.

Ours are about 10 years old and going strong, got summer and winter weight ones, each goes to the cleaners at the end of its season. I also put them on the washing line for a freshen up every now and then.

FiftyShadesofGreyMatter Sun 12-May-13 07:44:39

They should last forever if good quality. The cover will wear out before the filling does.

SavoyCabbage Sun 12-May-13 07:50:36

Mine is down and we have had it for twelve years. I just got my girls some 50/50 down/feather ones from Spotlight for $60.

marriedinwhiteagain Sun 12-May-13 23:08:03

I have my first feather duvet. It goes crossways on the guest bed as an extra layer and looks qite nice in a toning colour arranged like that. I got it when I was 13 so nearly 40 years old. The duvets on our bed are duck down and I bought them in 1988. Every summer I put them over the washing lne for a mega air and have them professionsally cleaned when we decorate - same as the pillows.

All the others are synthetic ones and the singles go through the machine - the double has a service wash.

CointreauVersial Sun 12-May-13 23:21:39

Ours lasted for a good 20 years. Eventually the cover started to wear through at the seams, and eventually I got sick of all the feathers flying everywhere every time I changed the duvet cover.

Decades.

There are feather duvets in my parents' house that are significantly older than me and are still in better nick than a two year old synthetic duvet.

echt Mon 13-May-13 09:08:35

Thank you all for your replies. I'd just noticed a lack of loft with some duvets, so wondered how to plump them up. I'm lucky in having a balcony outside the main bedroom to hang out the duvets to air/collect spider webs/get shat on by birds. grin

I can't be doing with the synthetic ones as they're full of slippery stuff that makes you fall over if you step on it while changing the bedlinen.

Am researching wool-filled duvets (I should say doonas) that are very popular in Australia.

Ambridge Mon 13-May-13 09:15:23

Slight thread hijack, sorry, OP - but what does everyone do with their feather duvets when they do wear out?

I've got a feather mattress topper and the cover is disintegrating. Can't give it away as feathers are escaping; it's massive and very heavy so am reluctant to bin it. What to do with it?

I wondered if anyone does a re-covering service but haven't managed to find one so far.

Alwayscheerful Mon 13-May-13 09:23:58

Ambridge - there is a company which offers a recovering service, they make made to measure sheets eg 4 ft and extra deep, they advertise in home & garden type magazines. I think they are based at a seaside town, I will try and think of the name.

Alwayscheerful Mon 13-May-13 16:09:39

www.keysbedding.co.uk/depteiderdown.html

they are in Clackton

gobbin Wed 15-May-13 21:15:23

echt I've recently changed to a wool duvet from Baavet, a company in Wales, and it is BRILLIANT.

Ambridge Mon 20-May-13 19:10:11

Always, I've just seen this - thank you, thank you! I'll give them a google grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now