Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know how to season a wok well?

(4 Posts)
SodaStreamy Sun 14-Apr-13 18:29:03

I looked at lots of you tube videos and tutorials online and they all seem to have different methods and conflicting advice inc th type of oil to use etc.

I have a metal wok wooden handle from the Chinese supermarket and would be grateful if anyone could talk my through a method that has worked for you

iZombie Sun 14-Apr-13 19:44:30

For me, just using it, lots. And never washing it in soapy water. Hot plain water and a bamboo brush.

DewDr0p Sun 14-Apr-13 20:22:45

Plain hot water, bamboo brush.

Wipe with kitchen roll. Then dry over a really high heat on the hob, until smoking hot. Swirl a little vegetable oil in, wipe it all over the wok with another piece of kitchen roll. Job's a good'un.

BeCool Mon 15-Apr-13 10:55:46

I had a beautifully seasoned wok (years ago now), it took a while but it was brilliant - sounds like yours OP & it was well used and seasoned a la DewDrop.

Then I had a new flatmate move in - I came home one day to find him beaming with pride as he had cleaned all the 'filth' off the wok and it was now no longer black, but silver again. I nearly cried!! He had no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now