Talk

Advanced search

How to clean an oil stain from Tarmac?

(10 Posts)
ParrotsEtEmAll Wed 10-Oct-12 09:45:03

Does anyone know how to clean an oil stain from a Tarmac drive? Thanks smile.

WillSingForCake Wed 10-Oct-12 10:00:19

How big is the stain? We had a major oil leak, and tried to remove it ourselves using an oil remover we bought from the hardware store. We scrubbed at it & ended up wrecking the tarmac, and are currently in negotiations with our landlord over how much it's going to cost to repair. So my advice is if it's a big stain get it professionally removed!

ParrotsEtEmAll Wed 10-Oct-12 10:06:13

Crikey. It's quite big. I did wonder about having it professionally cleaned.

ParrotsEtEmAll Wed 10-Oct-12 10:24:04

It's a bit <1 meter in diameter, so it is quite big. Gah.

WhoWhatWhereWhen Wed 10-Oct-12 10:27:38

Solvents will dissolve the tar in the tarmac have you tried washing up liquid?

Mum2Fergus Wed 10-Oct-12 10:29:55

I hired a company who did tarmac and monoblock with a pressure washer...bith areas cleaned up great (and it took all the weeds/dirt/crap from between blocks too-result!).

ParrotsEtEmAll Wed 10-Oct-12 10:30:37

No, I haven't tried anything yet, as the car has just gone to the garage to get fixed today.

I've just left a message with a professional driveway cleaning company about getting a quote.

ParrotsEtEmAll Wed 10-Oct-12 10:31:35

How much did it cost Mum? grin Did you have an oil leak, or did you just have a general clean?

ParrotsEtEmAll Wed 10-Oct-12 11:25:59

Okay, it gets worse. I just looked at it properly, and the tarmacadam is damaged already. sadsadsad

Mum2Fergus Wed 10-Oct-12 12:30:02

It was a leak from DPs car...no idea how long it had built up as he parked in same spot so didnt see it until he moved car was away for a valet, so possibly ingrained for a few weeks if not more! From memory it cost around £90.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now