Talk

Advanced search

An electric kettle which doesn't die within a couple of years?

(15 Posts)
AngelDog Thu 15-Sep-11 21:43:33

Does such a thing exist? I'm looking for something at the cheaper end of the price range - or is that the problem?

DooinMeCleanin Thu 15-Sep-11 21:45:03

Our Tesco Value one is around 3 years old and is still going strong. It only cost £5.

The cheaper the better IMO. Our Argos £11 one has at 3 years old outlasted several Morphy Richards or similar £40 a throw kettles. And TBH, if it only lasts a year, at £11 I don't really mind too much.

PhyllisDiller Fri 16-Sep-11 15:41:46

We haver the 'posh' version of the tesco's value kettle, the stainless steel one for about a tenner, (touch wood) it's on its 5th year now and still going strong.

TrillianAstra Fri 16-Sep-11 15:45:45

Do kettles die?

SpamMarie Fri 16-Sep-11 20:04:31

I've had my Tesco Value kettle for years (at least 4). It doesn't get that much use as I don't like tea or coffee (I know, I'm a freak) but it is certainly used daily has yet to fail. We live in a softwater area though. Could that be your problem?

cat64 Fri 16-Sep-11 20:06:50

Message withdrawn

AddictedtoCrunchies Fri 16-Sep-11 20:08:09

I've got a Woolworths value range kettle which is more than three years old and still going strong.

Maryz Fri 16-Sep-11 20:08:38

I have given up on "good" kettles. I have decided from now on to buy the cheapest, and replace it every year, which will be cheaper in the long run (though I have to buy a swivelly one as dh is left handed and anything non-swivelly causes rows).

And I'm considering doing the same with washing machines [bitter]. Buying the cheapest I can find might make me less resentful when it (a) doesn't wash properly, (b) gets clogged up and leaves horrible marks on clothes and (c) dies about 2 months after the warranty runs out [even more bitter].

AngelDog Fri 16-Sep-11 20:09:16

Thanks, all. I got a Cookworks one from Argos, and it was even on sale. smile

The last 3 kettles have lasted under 2 years each, so hopefully it'll outlive those.

We do live in a very hard water area, SpamMarie, but I do descale it reasonably regularly nowadays (although I didn't use to).

Maryz Fri 16-Sep-11 20:09:42

Cross-posted with everyone grin.

Obviously those lovely multicoloured, lightup, coordinated 80 quid ones are a waste of space.

Billynm Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:27

Hello, we have a 25 year old Russell Hobbs still going strong. It's my husbands, he bought it when he left home, it's seen off the kettle that I brought to the marriage. brew

AngelDog Fri 16-Sep-11 20:46:13

Oh, we have to buy swivelly ones too, just because it takes too much effort to fit a kettle back on the normal base. <lazy>

Poodlehorse Sun 18-Sep-11 14:15:16

my Bosch one is going strong 5 years on. it isn't that exciting - but it does work and swivel. But we are softwater so maybe not that much help to you. I always meant to buy the matching toaster when I managed to kill the existing one but have thus far failed to do so. Must try harder - except they probably won't have a matchy one now.

gailforcewind Sun 18-Sep-11 23:24:41

My tesco value one which is used CONSTANTLY cost £5 seven years ago and is still going strong. Unbelievable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now