Talk

Advanced search

Which pans to use with induction hob?

(14 Posts)
Putthatbookdown Tue 16-Aug-11 13:08:10

special ones?

Kladdkaka Tue 16-Aug-11 13:33:30

You can use any as far as I'm aware, although copper bottomed ones are the best.

carpwidow Tue 16-Aug-11 13:46:14

HI PTBD - I raised the same question a couple of days ago : have a look on the thread "Induction hobs - any good?" - lots of useful tips there.

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Tue 16-Aug-11 15:37:27

The bottom MUST be magnetic - take a magnet to shop with you - as long as they are you can have anything

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Tue 16-Aug-11 15:38:15

Sorry, I don't mean actually magnetic, but that a magnet will stick to bottom

homeaway Tue 16-Aug-11 19:55:07

You def have to get special ones, my mum got a new induction hob and a new set of pans to use. She gave me her old ones smile

twooter Tue 16-Aug-11 20:00:59

Worth tying your old ones first though - mine were fine although pre-induction

Piffle Tue 16-Aug-11 20:01:39

We bought infinite Circulon pans and 4 years on are very happy...
Copper is no good on induction, good stainless steel is, as are le creuset but I would advise a good non stick brand

TK Maxx often have top brands in very cheap, well worth a looksie

VirgoGrr Tue 16-Aug-11 20:03:58

Mine are all stainless steel ones with thick bases from Ikea, not very expensive.

I love an induction hob because you dont get get the scorching up the sides that you do with gas.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 16-Aug-11 20:04:33

ive got an induction hob - you do have to buy pans that will work on them - you cant just use any.

i got my set from Argos, but i buy individual ones from a professional cookware shop at a designer outlet.

Kladdkaka Tue 16-Aug-11 22:12:44

I asked by nerdy scientist husband about this as I always thought copper were best and I'd never heard of having to take a magnet shopping. Big mistake. Evening of gobbledygook on ferous metals, induction science, phasing, magnetic circuits etc. Made my ears bleed.

There was an answer in there somewhere. I think it was that you have to use iron or steel. Copper, aluminium or glass won't work, unless they are specially made for induction hobs whereby they <insert goobledygook> to make them work.

Kladdkaka Tue 16-Aug-11 22:14:08

'my nerdy scientist husband' not 'by'. Doh!

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Wed 17-Aug-11 10:09:46

You mean I was right then grin

DH is a kitchen designer (thankfully no science explanations from him) and he advises anyone buying an induction hob to take a magnet.

Kladdkaka Wed 17-Aug-11 18:59:49

Indeed you were. biscuit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: