Talk

Advanced search

Smelly washing machine. Why?

(9 Posts)
MadameLupino Wed 10-Aug-11 18:21:08

The drums smells fusty, really wet, mouldy and dank. It's not the soap drawe, I've cleaned that out. I've also cleaned the rubber seal (and that was grim). It's had a hot wash with napisan go through it this week and I've tried running it with old towels and vinegar.

Any ideas?

MotherPanda Wed 10-Aug-11 18:22:28

bicarbonate of soda is the answer! chuck a load in the drawer and drum, and pop it on a hot wash - 90 for a couple of hours say.

should sort the smell out.

MadameLupino Wed 10-Aug-11 18:43:14

Empty drum? I do have lots of bicarb, I will give it a go, thanks.

anonymousbird Wed 10-Aug-11 18:51:38

Empty your filter thing too, they often contribute to the smell, and yes, hottest possible wash with soda crystals in an empty machine. I just did my monthly hot wash/filter check and we are all fine and dandy again after getting a little musty smelling earlier this week....

Oh, and fabric conditioner is a sure fire way of building up the gunk which then causes the smells. Use powder not liquids for detergent and only use a small amount of conditioner. I ditched it completely last year and my machine is in much better shape now.

MadameLupino Wed 10-Aug-11 18:57:34

I don't use fabric softener, it is evil grin
I have no notion how to do the filter thing but I will check. Perhaps the fact that I don't know how to is a clue to how this has happened........ grin

anonymousbird Wed 10-Aug-11 19:27:41

Glad we are agreed on the softener!

The filter thing is probably located on the front of machine, low down, turn a round disc and behind it (have tea towels/bucket ready to catch the water) will be revealed a long bent rather phallic shaped filter/basket thing. If you have never cleaned it, it may well be full of fibre/fluff and it will produce water on your kitchen/utility floor!!!!

CroissantNeuf Wed 10-Aug-11 19:33:04

Agree that you should ditch the liquid and use powder.

We had a real problem a while ago and after changing to powder, as recommended on here, there has been no smell.

Seona1973 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:40:52

we have to remove the bottom kick plate from the machine to get to the screw bit at the front of the filter. I also use powder after liquid detergents ended up making marks on the clothes. I do still use fabric softner though.

MadameLupino Wed 10-Aug-11 20:37:35

I know where the filter is I think (twirly plate on the front) but blush it is one of those jobs that the Ex used to do so I've not attempted it. I will have a pop tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
I usually use soap nuts/eco balls and just liquid for the manky loads but I've been lazy recently and just bunging in liquid for everything. Maybe that's not helping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now