Talk

Advanced search

How much to pay a cleaner?

(12 Posts)
SKYTVADDICT Sat 04-Dec-10 11:03:40

Hi. I am childminder who only looks after 1 child full time but am struggling to keep up with the housework!

A friend has offered to clean for me a couple of hours a week but when I asked her how much an hour she says its up to me!

How much do you think? I am in rural Lincolnshire if that makes any difference, she lives over the road and would probably bring her 2 year old DD with her (if that makes any difference!)

Prinnie Sat 04-Dec-10 11:08:00

I pay my cleaner £8 per hour, seems about right to me.

SKYTVADDICT Sat 04-Dec-10 12:13:38

Really? Does she bring her own cleaning stuff?

I was thinking more like £6 as I only get £3 for childminding.

Lizzywishes Sat 04-Dec-10 12:16:44

I pay £10 an hour and provide equipment. (Northern town.) Used to be £8, but she put it up.

DreamTeamGirl Sat 04-Dec-10 12:21:24

Oooh so hard

£8-£10 is about right, but would you be minding her 2 eyar old while she did it?

You may only get £3 but you can have 4 or 5 or whatever (sorry I dont know the numebrs) kids at £3- she can only clean one house at a time.

SKYTVADDICT Sat 04-Dec-10 12:25:02

Thanks

Yes I know about the numbers - I can only have 1 under 5 though as have 2 under 5 of my own and can have 3 over 5 but actually one have 1 3 days a week for an hour.

Will speak to her next week and probably go for £8 then.

shodatin Sat 04-Dec-10 13:03:41

If it helps, I pay only £7 per hour (rural Yorks) and know I'm lucky

Pomi Mon 06-Dec-10 14:35:58

In London I payed 5 pound an hour but in Birmingham 7 which was too much for me.

SKYTVADDICT Wed 08-Dec-10 07:03:06

Well she visited yesterday and only wanted £5 so I offered her £6 and she was more than happy.

I just need to make a list now of things for her to do tomorrow while we are out! Will probably get the hang of it eventually but where to start? grin

BrassicaBabe Wed 08-Dec-10 11:35:45

I'm in rural lincs too and pay £10. She brings her own products with her.

Asteria Wed 08-Dec-10 11:53:17

I paid £7.50 in rural Northumberland 8 years ago! I'm now in the wilds of N Yorks and the going rate is between £7 and £10.
As for lists, it depends on how often she will be cleaning, what you do in between and what your house is like. I had a huge dusty old house in N'land and my cleaner came 3 mornings a week. One day was for upstairs (floors, bathrooms, bedding etc), one for downstairs (same again) and the other was for occasional things like windows/polishing silver (which I used to do with her) and drinking coffee with me [grins].
Are you expecting her to tidy too?

SKYTVADDICT Wed 08-Dec-10 22:31:48

LOL - no I am not expecting her to tidy, I am getting up at 6 in the morning to do that! I have done a list for tomorrow which is just dust lounge/diner, hoover rug, skirting boards, sweep and clean laminate floor, cobb web and leather wipe the suite - think she should be able to do that in 2 hours but it is trial and error really. Might need her more than 2 hours a week so will have to work on my DP grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now