Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Under stairs loo/ washing machine- making the best of space?

(9 Posts)
Polkadot1974 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:17:17

Currently we have a small under stairs space, with a loo and if you can imagine you're sitting on the loo (sorry), opposite you in a square space is my washing machine with around 20cm space to the left and a shelf above it- the space to the left gets filled with crap- carrier bags/ rucksacks and we have a basket on the floor with laundry stuff plus 3 crates of doom above the washer o n the shelf- bike helmets, cleaning stuff, bulbs etc. I'd love this turning into a cupboard, but what do I need? Anyone got anything like this?- if you can imagine it, the space where washer is used to house a shower with a curtain across, so I think a carpenter could do something to make it look tidier, but has anyone anything similar?

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 20:21:21

Blimey, you've got a tardis for an under stairs cupboard grin
Any chance of photo.

Polkadot1974 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:27:11

I can sketch- a pic wold be shameful and outing...bear with

RippleEffects Wed 01-Nov-17 20:28:42

We had a similar set up. I turned the washing machine through 90 degrees and cut an opening out to the hall/ kitchen with slight recess for hidden full height door over.

From within the toilet its a half height box out so you have a feeling of space.

From the hall/ kitchen you open a door and reveal washing machine and built in billy bookcase on top for boxes of washing tablets etc (also boxed out in toilet but with wall thickness etc it barely notices.)

Polkadot1974 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:35:29

Wonder if I could do that and keep loo just as a loo....here are my brilliant sketches (!)

Polkadot1974 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:04:52

Ripple effects - would you mind sending pic of yours? Struggling to imagine what it looks like behind the door - can imagine rotating and taking some space but imagine inside the loo area being tiny
Thank you!

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 21:12:21

Good sketches. I'm sure a carpenter could do a nice job there. Shelves above and at the side. Then either a bi fold door or two doors with centre opening.

RippleEffects Wed 01-Nov-17 21:20:56

I found it easier to access the washing machine when it wasn't in the toilet.

With your dims you could possibly fit a slim kitchen style pull out cupboard at the back of the washer into the toilet room and have a slimmer wall mounted cupboard set above the washer. Or you could go for something like an ikea Kallax and have many boxes of syn (I have many boxes of stuff that may come in useful some day)

RippleEffects Wed 01-Nov-17 21:29:20

Sorry, washing machine has now moved to a new utility extension and the cupboard is now a slimmer pantry with more space in the wc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now