Cost of gas stove/fireplace installation??

(4 Posts)
3boys3dogshelp Tue 14-Jun-16 22:20:30

We are looking to replace our ugly gas fire and fireplace with a gas stove. I have a good idea of which stove etc we like and prices but nobody seems willing to give me any idea of installation costs without a home visit. I just need a rough idea to see whether we can afford it yet. Please can any lovely mumsnetters help?

3boys3dogshelp Thu 16-Jun-16 08:42:09

I know it's a really boring subject but bumping just in case anyone can help..

KurtseyAllslop Thu 16-Jun-16 08:52:05

Hi OP,

I didn't have a gas stove put in but I did have some similar work done last year. I had two ugly and unsafe 1970s outset fires ripped out and replaced with inset cast iron reproduction gas fires like this. I also had both chimneys lined with all-weather cowls put on top of the chimney pots. I also had to have some plastering work done around the fire places because the new ones are much smaller than the old ones.

The cost was just over £4,000 for the two, so about £2,000 apiece. The cost would have been lower if I didn't line the chimeys (I think this was about £800 in total) and I'd had a cheaper cowl.

Although it was a massive and very dirty job, it would have been much more work if I'd had stoves because they have to knock out some of the chimney breast wall.

3boys3dogshelp Thu 16-Jun-16 09:47:53

Thanks Kurtsey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now