Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OU 10 point courses - how much study per week?

(3 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Tue 07-Oct-08 13:02:53

I'm on mat leave at the moment and starting to really miss exercising my brain. I have another 5 months before I return to work and want to do something to get my brain working again so was thinking of one or two 10 point courses at the OU which I could do in the evenings, at weekends and during DS's naps.

I'm intelligent and quick to pick up new ideas, work in an intellectually challenging job and have a degree from a very good university, plus I'm interested in two courses both of which I know a little about alreadygiven my job. Given that, I'm not sure if 2 x 10 point courses would be too much, or if I only sign up for one 10 pt course will I just rush through quickly and find I could have done two after all.

Anyone got any experience of 10 point courses and how much work they take?

murphyslaw Tue 07-Oct-08 14:30:07

Just completed Understanding Nutrition - This was my 6th OU course - took this purely for interest.

From gaining a degree point of view this is a lot of work for 20 points! But as you already have a degree I presume you are just keeping your mind active!

The Nutrition course had flexible end dates - a submission of an assignment in July and I think again in Sep/Oct so there wasnt any pressure at all. I easily managed to submit at the first date.

Depends on how hard you want to work but I would be tempted to do 1 at a time and give it your all! - Havent they all got flexible start dates (not sure?) I was putting in about 4-5 hours per week and finished the course within 10 weeks but I had some knowledge of the field already.

If you enquire they will tell you how many hours work each course is obviously based on an estimate but at least its a benchmark. The last thing you want to be is stressed out - enjoy your time off smile

HolidaysQueen Tue 07-Oct-08 14:37:50

Thanks murphyslaw- that's helpful. I was planning to only do one course but was a bit thrown by a comment from a previous student on one of the courses who said he completed it in 10 days!

Yep, just keeping my mind active, and then seeing how I get on with hopes of starting proper OU degree course once back in the swing of things with work etc. I should have done my first course (30 points) this year but found out I was pregnant and decided final assessments and a newborn wouldn't mix very well, especially as I'm only really doing it for fun, so cancelled!

I think I'll sign up for one course and see how I get on and then maybe sign up for another in February if I get through it easily. I return to work in March so didn't want to start anything in Feb but maybe if this one works out easily then I might feel like I can handle another short course in Feb. Then hopefully I'll feel up to starting a 30 point course in September next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now