HugoSpritz Sun 12-Jan-20 20:33:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Hoghgyni Sun 12-Jan-20 20:39:37

Thanks Hugo.

PantTwizzler Sun 12-Jan-20 20:54:32

Argh it’s getting close...

Ironoaks Sun 12-Jan-20 21:07:33

Thank you HugoSpritz for starting a new thread.

sandybayley Sun 12-Jan-20 21:09:39

Ah thanks Hugo. I guess this is the one where we find out either way.

I can report DS1 is back on form after his appendectomy. He's eating like a horse, was out at an 18th last night and is gaming.

He should get his mock results this week. I

aibutohavethisusername Sun 12-Jan-20 21:17:47

Great news Sandybayley.

Thanks for the new thread HugoSpritz.

sandybayley Sun 12-Jan-20 21:25:36

Ah thanks Hugo. I guess this is the one where we find out either way.

I can report DS1 is back on form after his appendectomy. He's eating like a horse, was out at an 18th last night and is gaming.

He should get his mock results this week. I

Saintandsinner Sun 12-Jan-20 21:29:19

Placemarking thanks hugo

milliefiori Sun 12-Jan-20 21:32:30

Wah... this is the offers thread. Good timing.

Ironoaks Sun 12-Jan-20 21:44:18

sandybayley good to hear that your DS is recovering well.

KingscoteStaff Sun 12-Jan-20 21:57:19

And breathe...

PantTwizzler Sun 12-Jan-20 22:10:59

Great to hear sandy.

DevaDiva Sun 12-Jan-20 23:33:10

Will attempt to keep up with the thread this week. DD is almost certain UCL will be first choice regardless of Wednesdays decision.

Good luck to all smile

HuaShan Mon 13-Jan-20 06:04:39

Thanks Hugo

AChickenCalledDaal Mon 13-Jan-20 07:26:39

Hello everyone smile

NotEnoughTime Mon 13-Jan-20 07:30:46

Good morning all. Not long to wait now.....

How is it possible that I would like to speed up time and slow down time simultaneously?

KaptainKaveman Mon 13-Jan-20 07:36:29

Morning all. I find that time has had a strange effect on dd's perception of her experience at Cambridge and she is now of the opinion that she's got very little chance of an offer. At the time she felt that bits of it had gone 'quite well'.

If it doesn't work out she'll be ok (although she'll be upset of course.)

Good luck all.

FingernailNibbler Mon 13-Jan-20 08:00:32

@KaptainKaveman Is that a big shift from how she felt just after interviews?

DD is overly confident (was after interviews too), but can have an unrealistically positive attitude at times (dreamer). I think we need to have a What If talk to consider other options just in case.
I did have a look at the 2019 stats, and MML is embarrassingly better odds than most subjects (almost 50%). Wonder if MML students get imposter syndrome, or if C will reduce number of places in future. But if she doesn't get in she'll be even more crushed as the odds were in her favour compared to other subjects. She is saying she would do a gap year and reapply, but I really worry about that. If she didn't get in 2nd time, she'd be devastated. Time to go on the 2nd choice uni website and get some positive impressions of life there, and keep nibbling the fingernails, of course! blush

sandybayley Mon 13-Jan-20 08:07:15

@KaptainKaveman - that may well be a coping mechanism as d-day dawns.

@NotEnoughTime - there are some very clever DC physicists on this thread who could answer that question for you!

I can't believe it's tomorrow people!

NotEnoughTime Mon 13-Jan-20 08:14:48

grin sandy

Tomorrow for the Oxford crew yes. I'm keeping everything crossed for the Oxford hopefuls (and their parents).

AChickenCalledDaal Mon 13-Jan-20 08:21:50

Feeling nervous here. We've done plenty of talking about how low the odds are, how she has lots of other good options, how the competition is really tough etc etc etc.

But the honest truth is she really wants to go to Cambridge and it will hit her hard if she doesn't get an offer, no matter how carefully we manage expectations..

She also has two friends who interviewed but genuinely aren't that bothered and would rather go elsewhere. It will hit her hard if either of them gets an offer and she doesn't.

gizmo Mon 13-Jan-20 08:35:15

Placemarking...and getting cross with myself that I am starting to get seriously nervous, after several weeks where I had thought that I was at peace with rejection and enthusiastic about DS's options at St Andrews/York/Warwick.

If that sounds terribly self centred it's because DS seems enormously laid back and if there isn't an offer I think he will bounce back quite quickly. He mostly takes the whole results day thing as an opportunity to gently tease me about whether he will let me see the letter!

Monkey2001 Mon 13-Jan-20 08:44:52

@FingernailNibbler -- a bit of re-applicant experience to share again. If you are going to be rejected it is such better to be rejected at this stage than by not achieving the offer on results day. It gives you much more time to step back and think about it rationally without having to decide what you are going to do within a few days.

Our experience was that DS had an awful day when he felt the rug had been pulled from under his feet as he had been so drawn in to the Cambridge dream. At that point he was sure he wanted to try again. A week or so later he had decided that he would accept any medicine offer he got. As it turned out he did not get any offers, he has ended up taking a gap year and re-applying. His gap year has worked out well so far and if he gets an offer this year he will have no regrets about the way things turned out.

Obviously there are loads of useful things an MML applicant can do with a gap year - one of the most fun is to get a job as a holiday rep, either a "chalet girl" for skiing season or a resort rep - I know people who have done both of those very successfully in gap years.

So, every DC is different, but I would say it is too close to the decision day for "embrace the insurance" discussions, but try to see the silver linings in all outcomes.

FingernailNibbler Mon 13-Jan-20 08:48:49

@achickencalleddaal
I know exactly what you mean. When they believe it's the perfect place for them (especially after visiting for interview) and now can't see any other path. Lots of good vibes that your DD gets her wish. Mine now sees the world through Cambridge-blue-tinted glasses. shock Has your DD discussed plans in case of a no? Like reapplying?

Terfin Mon 13-Jan-20 08:56:22

I'm here smile thanks Hugo

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »