Talk

Advanced search

anyone studied architecture part-time / by correspondence?

(13 Posts)
warthog Fri 23-Mar-07 10:41:46

i'm mad about architecture, and when the kids are in school i'd like to retrain. has anyone done it part-time or by correspondence? which university did you go to?

i've checked on open university's website but they don't offer it.

tia

OP’s posts: |
southeastastra Fri 23-Mar-07 19:23:33

it takes about 7 years full time (i think) so you'd be training for ages!

warthog Fri 23-Mar-07 21:45:26

yes, that's a good point. maybe i'll shelve that idea along with my other hairbrained schemes...

southeastastra Sat 24-Mar-07 12:08:13

how about town planning or somethimg similar. i have no idea how you train for that but i know planners will be in demand

warthog Sat 24-Mar-07 12:19:06

ugh - sorry - not me! my sister is a town planner. or used to be! well i still might do the first part of the architecture course which is a three year degree. gets you a part 1 with riba or some such.

the other option is a maths degree which is probably easier to do part time...

southeastastra Sat 24-Mar-07 12:34:51

if you can do the architecture part 1 go for it

warthog Sat 24-Mar-07 12:44:13

have you done it sea?

southeastastra Sat 24-Mar-07 12:47:02

blimey no! just wanted to encourage you.

MintChocChippyMinton Sat 24-Mar-07 13:02:22

friend did it at Oxford Brookes. She got credits for her previous degree (planning ) and did it part-time, they were flexible. Worth ringing up a few places to see what they can do.

warthog Sat 24-Mar-07 13:28:31

thanks sea!

that's good to know mintchoc. i might get a few credits from my degree (although unlikely) but even if it was one credit that i could save doing that would be worth it. how do you know what credits are transferrable?

MintChocChippyMinton Sat 24-Mar-07 13:33:00

Don't know much about credits i'm afraid. Worth pinpointing a couple of institutions and contacting them? Architecture is a very intensive, hands-on course. When i was at college the architects frequently worked through the night before project presentations and you have to have a thick skin to take all the (constructive) criticism.

warthog Sat 24-Mar-07 13:46:38

it does sound quite tough. i did a music degree so am used to 'constructive, impersonal' criticism. i must admit that working through the night doesn't appeal very much. i mean, that's what babies are for

archimaker Wed 25-Apr-18 23:19:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »