Talk

Advanced search

Good sixth form colleges in or around Hampshire area?

(16 Posts)
questioner123 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:50:33

Hi all.

My daughter is looking around at sixth form colleges around fleet, Hampshire area, max half an hour (ish) distance. Please not Farnborough Sixth- not had a great experience there. Thank you guys!! We are a little stuck at the moment!

scaryteacher Wed 08-Feb-17 04:24:00

Not sure about the distance, but Peter Symonds in Winchester has always had a good reputation. I went in 82-84, and remained so convinced that I sent ds from 12-14. He loved it and really took off socially there. He boarded, as there are two small boarding houses there.

JWIM Wed 08-Feb-17 08:40:57

PS College is very close to Winchester train station if the train from Fleet is an option. I think there may also be a bus from Fleet to Alton College.

Both colleges are OFSTED outstanding. Suggest you and DC visit both to see which would suit your DC best.

Ohtobeskiing Wed 08-Feb-17 19:30:48

What about Godalming? I have no personal experience but nieces went there recently and did well.

Ohtobeskiing Wed 08-Feb-17 19:32:00

or Alton College?

HSMMaCM Wed 08-Feb-17 19:47:49

Yateley school has a sixth form.

atheistmantis Thu 09-Feb-17 13:52:14

Peter symonds would be my recommendation too.

Ta1kinPeace Fri 10-Feb-17 13:11:52

My stock response is Symonds (funny that)
BUT
it does depend what subjects your DD wants to study and what her plans / ideas are afterwards
and whether she shares your negative vibe of Farnborough

corythatwas Fri 10-Feb-17 15:00:59

Another voice for Peter Symonds.

I'd add Barton Peveril if you were at the other end of Hampshire, but am assuming you don't want to go south of Winchester.

PS is very handy for the station.

JoeMaplin Sun 19-Feb-17 21:47:29

QMC is the other option, along with Alton college but the bus ride for alton is more than 30 mins and only 2 buses in am and pm. Why has your daughter discounted Farnborough? Could she revisit it? Peter Symonds from Fleet is going to be a long, long day and very expensive for travel..

pericat Sat 25-Feb-17 15:45:24

What about Farnborough Tech College? I have heard that their results were better than Farnborough sixth form last summer. I assume you are in the area so no extra travelling.

zizza Tue 07-Mar-17 17:52:27

I used to work at FCOT if you'd like to contact me...

My children went to Farnborough Sixth Form and did really well, but I know it's not for everyone.

Heard good things about Alton.

user1488923210 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:40:42

My daughter is at Peter Symonds. The first year was very tough as it is a very big college and she felt like a fish out of water. Although there is a lot of support, students are treated like adults and unless they are mature enough to go and ask for help they are left to their own devices I feel. My daughter is quite shy and introverted and has not done as well as she could have done there. Most of her friends however have flourished. I do feel that their stellar reputation is mostly due to the first class support they give to Oxbridge-bound students.

scaryteacher Thu 09-Mar-17 14:34:27

User My lad was there as a boarder 12-14, and we felt the support there was first class. I could phone or email the house parents, and indeed his tutors, if I had any concerns, and my ds didn't go on to Oxbridge. As we were abroad, this was reassuring.

I went there 82-84 as a boarder, and even then, we were treated as adults, but the support was there if we needed it. It is not school so you are not spoon fed, but neither should you be. It's a great place to manage the transition from school child to university. Their reputation was pretty damn good when I went there; perhaps they just have a good system in place and great, and committed staff who can do their jobs?

Ta1kinPeace Thu 09-Mar-17 18:46:17

I do feel that their stellar reputation is mostly due to the first class support they give to Oxbridge-bound students.
TBH no
They send between 50 and 60 to Oxbridge each year.

Its the 600-700 that go to other Russell Group and Top200 Unis that have given them the academic clout

IcedVanillaLatte Thu 16-Mar-17 17:49:48

Farnborough Tech represent! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now