AAAGGGHHH Drama School Reserve list(28 Posts)
My DD has just found out that she has been placed on the reserve list for one of the top UK drama schools.
So close, and yet so far. What I would really like is for some lovely person to come along and tell me that she will eventually be offered a place, but I'm not sure that this will happen.
The waiting is awful. I'm living on my nerves. It's easier to get in to Oxford or Cambridge.
They take all of 18 people out of the thousands that apply.
She has done very very well. Lots of people take several attempts to get even that far - she will have been auditioning with people who have been auditioning for drama schools for the last 3-5 years (and will be older and have more life experience).
She has done fantastically well & a lot of people at drama school got in after their 2nd or third attempt.
I know. This is her second attempt. She was accepted on to a Foundation Course this year, so that has helped.
This is a long and frustrating process. She has a final round audition at Bristol Old Vic soon. Not expecting anything though. Just to get this far at Bristol is an achievement.
Yes, this may apply, but the course is covered by the student loan,so not too sure. It's still expensive to live inLondon, though.
The dd of a friend is about to turn down a place at one of the top dance colleges for an academic degree, at the last moment. That'll be freeing up a place for someone on their waiting list...
Unfortunately, this is a Drama school. Some one though will be very happy!!
There is the alternative of theatre studies degrees and postgrad at a drama school.
Son is going to Surrey, the only uni in the UK with shared facilities with a drama school. Several go on to GSA for postgrad and at a discount too.
Yes, d has/is thinking about this too. Depending what happens over the net few weeks, she may have a look at clearing in August. She is fortunate to have excellent A level results. I think, however that it is more likely that she will have another go at the Drama school thing next year. Problem is what you do in the meantime of course.
We could be in for a long year.
Someone may be offered a TV or film part and remove themselves from the course.
Where is she on the wait list?
All they have said is that there is a small pool of people, and that they will replace type with type, e.g. tall, skinny mezzo etc.
If she had applied earlier in the year, she probably would have got in, but they have said that they already have her type.
We have to pray that it may change.
That would be great, Coconutty. We are just keeping our fingers crossed
Fingers crossed for you, FANTINE!!! Agree with PP that she has done very well indeed.
Dd did not get in when she applied first time and did not do the Foundation course (some financial issues as not covered by student loan); she has taken a year out working, and by the looks of it may end up having to make a third try. But has saved enough money for private tuition so is going to try to find a voice coach and is doing a couple of targeted summer courses (having now got a better idea of her weaknesses).
DD has done a Foundation course that was funded by student loan. She has not been accepted on to the 3 yr BA course at the school, but not sure this is the right place for her tbh. However, it was worth doing the Foundation, she has gained a lot from it.
Has your daughter thought of applying for NYMT? Alternatively, I believe that the summer course at GSA is good.
This is a tough process, as I am sure you know. i think that in general, it takes three goes to get in.
Where was your dd's Foundation course if you don't mind my asking, Fantine?
NYMT no good for dd as she is not musical enough: she is into straight acting/physical acting, but is never going to be a triple threat.
The foundation is at East 15. It is one of the few that are funded, and my D has enjoyed it, and gained a lot from it. She has not, however, got on to the 3yr BA course, which is a bit disappointing, as she has received really positive feed back all year. So just remember that it is not a "feeder" course for the BA.
She is also on the reserve list for NYT [didn't get in to NYMT, but was recalled}.
Has your daughter thought of NYT? The audition process is over for this year, but she could try for next.
The course that she is on the reserve list for[and is desperate to get in] is at Central School of Speech and Drama. We just have to wait and see if people drop out.
It's frustrating and nerve wracking.
The course is Acting with Musical Theatre.
Dd did audition for NYT year before this, but not this year (not sure why). She is going to be doing summer courses at Central. Acting only; as I said she is never going to be a singer.
Fingers crossed for your dd!
I went to central and my best friend that I met there got in when someone else dropped out. Still hope!
East 15 have quite a few drama based degrees - are there places on any of the other programmes?
My niece did the East 15 BA in acting and community theatre and has turned it into an international career and is currently managing a community theatre project in the US
D has just completed a Foundation year at East 15. Unfortunately not accepted on the the full 3 yr BA course. [Long story]. Enjoyed the course though.
No news from Central , but she has also been placed on the Shortlist for Bristol Old Vic, which is an achievement itself. Now all she has to do is be one of the 14 they accept[out of 2,000]!
I feel your pain truly
My DD was offered a BA in acting at Guildford GSA and a RADA foundation. The agony the agony! Has gone for the Foundation as, like your DD, she wants to go to Central, or Rada BA. I had no idea how bloody impossible the selection process was for performing arts I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Your poor DD being in the dark like this it's awful. GOOD LUCK
It really is a tough, tough process. We are all aware that the likelihood from BOV is statistically a No. All the candidates were told at the final recall that a place on the shortlist meant that you are talented enough to go there, but it is a matter of "fit".
Did your daughter accept the offer from GSA? It's strange how these top schools operate. D has applied to GSA twice, once for MT, once for straight acting. Did not get past first round for either. Yet got recalled at RADA.
I am beginning to think that some of these Drama Schools just do not have the places to offer, yet have to audition the applicants because they have taken their audition fees. Your average 18 yr old, straight from school/college student very rarely stands a chance of getting on to a 3 yr course, especially in straight acting.
In the case of BOV however I am pleased to say that they wait until all candidates have been auditioned before they make their offers.
Good luck to your daughter!
My DD didn't get past the first round of BOV but didn't like Bristol so no tears there from her.
She turned down GSA in the hope that a foundation year at RADA will mean she'll get offers next year from the core London acting schools. I'm afraid our thinking was, someone from GSA will struggle more to "make it" than someone from say LAMDA. And god knows they've got a struggle ahead, getting work, so it seemed sensible to gamble on an offer from a more prestigious place next year. But it could all backfire!
And of course it means we have to suffer the whole hideous audition round
and cost again next spring
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.