Any prospective medics got offers yet?(63 Posts)
Just wondering as seem to have entered the eye of the storm here- nothing happening after all the frantic application/ supplementary questionnaires etc!
My DD goes to a school where there are about 10 to 12 medic applicants.
No offers yet. In fact, the interview offers are few and far between - there are interviews for Birmingham, Cambridge and no others that I've heard. Leeds has been in touch about their ranking system. And there has been a rejection from Exeter.
And I believe that is it, so far, on medic activity. Hopefully that will give you some comfort theas - it's still all quiet on the medic front!
There is a really good board for Medicine applicants on a site called the Student Room - and from posts you can gauge how the offers are going.
DS school has lots of medic applicants too. I don' think there has been an offer yet. Many rejections though and some interviews at Birmingham and DS has been to Liverpool. The Leeds " ranking system" seems to change with every email!
Ah well he's quite distracted with all the Xmas activity at school etc and I assume unis break up this week anyway- an interview next week would be mean LOL
(though this doesn't stop the Oxbridge rejections- OK and places - coming through around the 23rd in a very mean fashion! That was the low point with the eldest)
High number of applicants at ds school, no offers heard of yet. Ds has two interviews and one rejection so far. Get the feeling he won't hear before end of March.
Likewise here for the oldest, OP - Oxford rejection on 23 rd December. That was nice. I think Oxford are now sending out their letters after Christmas though ? ( can't say for sure as DD has applied for Cambridge so I know that's after the turn of the year anyway)
It's been a couple of years ago now, but DS got a medical interview in Feb and an offer in April. Nerve shredding, but you just have to be patient. I became quite obsessive logging into student room daily!
DD1 had to wait til march for her offer... it was hideous!
However she is now in her 4th year at Peninsula (Exeter) . Be patient
Returning to bump this for reassurance (is there a nail biting icon?)
too scared to venture into the student room TBH
Still not heard after Liverpool interview in Dec. Apparently they tell everyone in a batch in march?
Rejections from Bristol (not surprised, despite ticking all their boxes about other stuff etc my limited experience they are very random re who they offer to and who they don't!) and Leeds ( he was a bit WHAAT! about that as all the centile stuff they sent put him in the boxes for interview)
So march interview at Nottingham. I'm taking it as an optimistic sign that it's the day before he goes for an open day about his 5th choice offer - so he can just go up and spend a couple of days there with his sister
Mutters to DS and self " you only need one offer ....you only need one offer"....
I have a medic as a tutee, I rejection, 2 interviews next week and the rest all quiet
Theas18- My DS applied to Durham and hasn't heard back yet. I think they send out their offers/rejections in March. He has an interview next week at Queen Mary's London. I have found the last few quite crazy.
We met a girl at one of the open days who had only had two interviews and then one offer. She was now in her 3rd year. So I agree with mantra of "you only need one offer.... You only need one offer.." I keep saying the same to my DS.
Still waiting here, two interviews, two rejections.
He knows he won't hear until March. If I'm honest I am more worried about A2 results as I feel ds may not make the grade in Chemistry.
Good luck to everyone and their DC.
Hi, my DD also waiting on Medicine offers. She's had 4 interviews all before Christmas so such a long wait. 2 of the Unis gave early offers which she didn't get so she says she's giving up hope. I try to reassure but know the odds for some are only 40% so want to be realistic too. She found 2 interviews really tough and 2 went well. This 4 month wait is agonising. Good luck to all your DC.
DS has been very lucky and has 3 offers and has withdrawn from his 4th choice but most at his school have more of a mixture at the moment. Part of his rationale for choosing some of the medicial schools he did was whether they give out early offers/ rejections, so that he would not in theory be too distracted from A2 studies by the stress of waiting for late offers / rejections, the school he withdrew from only offers in March though.
At DSs school the early offers have come from Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, KCL and Manchester.
KCL also seems to be keeping a lot of people hanging on post interview even though they say they let people know within 2 weeks. Hull York seems to be causing major upset at the moment.
Best of luck to your DC, as everyone says, they only need one offer.
Wow 3 offers is a fantastic achievement. There are no offers at DD's school yet, some are still getting interviews. I suppose we have waited 4 months so another month or so shouldn't be too great in the great scheme of her life. The not knowing just makes it a bit hard to plan ahead and of course all her non Medicine friends have their offers.
TSR is strangely addictive and yes HYMS situation is bizarre. This was going to be her last choice as she did well on the Ukcat but she changed her mind, maybe a wise decision given the strange happenings!
By this stage DS had two offers from two of the universities in Stokesay's list, one rejection from a university not on his/ her list and was waiting on the results of one interview. He finally got an offer from this last university in late March, a long, long, long time after the interview - I think the university in question might have been waiting to see if he firmed another university so that they didn't waste an offer.
suz742 -just read your post- please tell your DD not to lose hope. It might cheer her up to know that DS had an interview in October for the fourth university, saw lots of others getting early offers for the same university and heard nothing from them at all until late March. He rejected the university on April 1st as it happens and one reason he gave when they asked why was because they him waiting an unreasonable length of time.
Thanks for your reassurance. It's unfortunate that her 2 favourites wait until the end of the cycle in March to give decisions. I agree that very late decisions do put you off the Uni concerned as I can see that happening with my DD.
TSR plays out the whole process and can be both addictive and torturous. I hope I'm not the only mum frantically checking the latest news from the forums each day!
Hopefully I'll report back good news in a few weeks when the decisions eventually arrive.
suz four interviews out of four can only bode well. That's exceptionally positive in itself. One of them must surely give an offer. I really can't believe that out of four interviews she'll end up with nothing. And as for tough interviews/ good interviews - she can't be the judge (believe me please - I'm an old hand!).
Please someone fill me in on what's happening at HYMS.
HYMS from what I've read guaranteed interviews for those with Ukcat over 700. I don't think they anticipated the rise in Ukcat scores and influx of applications.
As of last week they had finished their scheduled interviews with 100 or so still awaiting interview. They then gave out offers to approx 100 people who had not had interviews. The remaining applicants who did have interviews are pretty upset as their chance of offers are reduced and some had higher Ukcat than those with offers. They are still awaiting decisions post interview. Emotions are running high on that forum with legal challenges, GMC reporting etc threatened. All a bit of a mess really.
It isn't possible to firm an offer on UCAS until responses have been received from all of your choices, or you have withdrawn from any with outstanding decisions. That is why DS withdrew from his 4th choice, though he was less keen on it anyway.
I suppose by planning to offer late, it may make admissions officers' guesswork re numbers easier as it probably means that they are offering to the most committed applicants who are most likely to firm them, as others like my DS would have withdrawn earlier rather than wait.
4/4 interviews is fantastic- if your DD doesn't get at least 2 offers I'd be very surprised. Some medical schools even have an offer rate of 65%+ .
Went through all this 4 years ago so I feel your pain!
DD's first interview was in mid March and the invitation came in early Dec so it was a very, very long wait. The one at her first choice uni was at the end of March with about a fortnight's notice. Her last interview was in mid April at extremely short notice.
All notified re offers very swiftly though.
My DD heard back from her first Uni, Newcastle, yesterday and got an offer. It has been such a long wait as all interview within 3 weeks in Nov and Dec. The sense of relief is incredible, the last couple of weeks have been so tense, she is on cloud nine. Waiting to hear from the other 3 but she has definitely gone off 2 and I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle is her choice even if she gets other offers.
Join the discussion
Please login first.