Talk

Advanced search

Training to become a Primary Teacher- What are my options?

(5 Posts)
wherenow Fri 07-Aug-09 22:25:56

Hi,

I currently work part-time as a Learning Support Assistant in a primary school.
I am really interested in becoming a teacher but unsure of where to start.
I spoke to my boss (school head teacher) who was very supportive and told me that he would support me in any way he could.
I have 9 gcse's grade a*-c (inc maths, science and english) and a Btec Nat Dip Childcare and Education.
I have an 18mnth old Ds and I am a single parent.
Basically, which training route would you recommend? Ideally, I need to continue working at the same time.
Realistically, how long will it take me to become a qualified teacher?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you

wherenow Tue 11-Aug-09 09:39:19

Anyone?

tiredemma Tue 11-Aug-09 09:46:56

Have you contacted your local university to see if you have the relevant qualifications to start a course?
They may be able to point you in the right direction.

girlsyearapart Tue 11-Aug-09 09:54:57

you can either do a degree which is 3 or 4 years then a pgce which is 1 year very intensive or a teaching degree which is 4 years i think. I did the pgce. You may alsohave to do an access course to go on to degree course. Got to go now but happy to talk more later x

changenameruk Tue 11-Aug-09 10:42:26

i did it as a single parent so it can be done but my children were older 5 and 3.
I had a degree already so my training was only a year. i do love it though so i would recommend it.

do you have some family support? my dc go to my ex husband 2 weekends a month and i used that time to do my studying/assignments etc and kept other written work to a minimum when i had the dc.

i am sure there is a person at your county council who can advise you may be the careers office? have you tried
www.tda.gov.uk/recruit there is lots of good info on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now