Advanced search

Want to go back to work but can't afford it :(

(14 Posts)
nikki1978 Thu 09-Apr-09 16:10:15

I have two DC's (4 and 2) and I currently work part time (1 day a week) while my MIL looks after them (she charges me £20 a day). I have been a SAHM for almost 5 years now and the boredom and lack of money is now starting to get to me. I have looked at lots of options but can't seem to find childcare that doesn't cost so much it makes working pointless. Unfortunately I am not qualified to do anything I have about 5 years of P.A experience from before having kids and 4 years of part time book keeping experience from after having kids (not qualified though and use a program called Quickbooks which not many businesses use). I would love to get qualified in something but the cost of courses and again the childcare is a problem plus I really need to be earning more money asap.

It is so frustrating as everyway I turn I hit a brickwall

Any ideas?


OP’s posts: |
nikki1978 Thu 09-Apr-09 16:11:19

Oh forgot to say DD will start school in Sept but doesn't help loads because of the holidays....

OP’s posts: |
LIZS Thu 09-Apr-09 16:19:35

If you do 16 hours pw you might get help with childcare costs also your dd will have 12.5 (some areas 15) hours funded by LEA

Greatfun Thu 09-Apr-09 20:38:47

Not sure about your situation but its surprising how much help you can get. DH and I get child care vouchers through work which saves us about £170 per month on childcare. Plus there are tax credits. Could you not also get training in SAGE so your book keeping skills are more useful.

Madmentalbint Fri 10-Apr-09 07:08:57

I know how you feel!

If you want to work term time try local schools for admin jobs. I'd imagine with your PA experience you could well be snapped up. Also, try checking out your local council website for non-school based jobs. I've just seen a term-time job advertised for a senior administrative assistant.

You said you'd love to get qualified in something? Do you have any idea what?
Could you work part time and study part time as well? That way you get the best of both worlds. OU seems very popular on MN and it would mean you wouldn't need childcare. Some employers will pay for employees to study too if it will benefit your work.

The book keeping might be good to expand on. If you could formalise your qualifications I'm sure you'd find plenty of work which would give you extra income.

Good luck with whatever you decide smile

FourArms Fri 10-Apr-09 07:25:36

I've seen a lot of courses advertised round here which offer free childcare and reimbursement of travel expenses too. If you could find one of these you'd get time away from the kids, and get your skills updated at the same time.

spicemonster Fri 10-Apr-09 08:17:36

Child tax credits give you a lot back on your childcare and mine come in the same day as my payment to my CM goes out. Worth looking into - go to

hotcrosspurepurple Fri 10-Apr-09 08:20:39

there are schemes that pay your childcare costs while you study
at our nursery we have children whose fees are paid for by the jobcentre while the parent retrains
maybe you could try there for information

Mooseheart Fri 10-Apr-09 08:34:08

Agree with mentalbint, schools are a good place to start for term time work. They need support staff, LSAs etc...

mum2samandalex Mon 13-Apr-09 00:24:09

i so know how you feel!!! Does help towards childcare only apply to single parents? Dh earns 24K and i would like to earn £100 a month as we are really struggling at the moment.Hes had to take a job working away in the week so we have two lots of expenses to pay out for so in theory we are taking in alot less then 24k.But thanks to the recession hes been unable to find work closer to home. Feeling stuck in a rut at the moment as we have no extra money for savings/emergencys coming in.

It seems really unfair if your a single mum whos been out of work or are employed you get help to retrain etc but if your part of a working family you get nothing or thats how it seems.

LIZS Mon 13-Apr-09 18:41:24

No you can also claim childcare element as a a couple but the income threshold isn't that high and you have to work 16 hrs per week (unlikely for just £100) . Check here or via entitledto if you may qualify

violethill Mon 13-Apr-09 22:04:07

I agree with all those who say the important thing is trying to get on courses and make yourself more employable.

Also, look at the long term. You may well find that you spend a while working for not very much over and above childcare costs (though tbh paying only £20 per day for two kids is far lower than the going rate, so you're lucky there). But in the long term, if you can get qualified you will get the pay back later on.

Also, it definitely will get easier with one child in school, because even with after school and holiday care costs, it's nowhere near as expensive as when they're pre-school.

Abip Mon 27-Apr-09 21:05:31

Just be careful, i retrained for three years to be a top hair stylist and could not live off the money. Ex hubby walked out and i have had to get a full time job and pay for childcare for two children. This has worked fantastically as i get help with childcare through the child tax. However i am moving in with my partner and we are entitled to no help with child care. I earn £18k a year and will be left with £117 per month after chilcare and the mrtgage. !!!

maximama Fri 08-May-09 21:20:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in