Talk

Advanced search

help with covering letter please!!

(6 Posts)
thirtysomething Tue 27-Jan-09 10:04:52

Was just about to send off an application form for a placement linked to a course I'm doing and noticed it said must also send a covering letter-help!! Haven't done one of these for about 20 years - what do I say? The form itself had lots of qs about relevant experience, why I want to do the role etc so I'm not sure it's worth repeating all that?

PuzzleRocks Tue 27-Jan-09 11:57:59

Bumping for you.

StirlingTheStrong Tue 27-Jan-09 13:02:27

I dont think that the letter would need to be too long. They probably just want to know you can set out a letter.

Make it FOR THE ATTENTION OF __________

Dear (name or Sir/Madam)

Please find enclosed my application for the role of _______(don't forget any reference number they may have put in advert), as seen in the (newspaper name or website).

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours (sincerely or faithfully)

smile hope that helps and wasn't too patronising!

titchy Tue 27-Jan-09 13:23:15

Add a couple of paragraphs to Stirling's example - 'As you can see from my CV/application form/whatever I am curretnly studying xxxx and seeking a placement that will enable me to yyyyy and feel that your company/charity/organisation/whatever would be ideal becuase of zzzzz' And add something about how great they are and how delighted you'r be to do a placement with them.

pinkdelight Tue 27-Jan-09 15:37:04

I used to write these for a living! My tip would be to used bullets, so that the letter acts as a summary for the form.

I would do it:

Par One: as Stirling's example, the basics about what you're applying for

Par Two: what attracts you to the post.

Par Three: something along the lines of

'The skills and experience that I would bring to the placement include:
- x years experience in blah
- x qualifications in blah
- x tangible example of key skill
- x another example of another key skill'
(No more than a couple of lines per bullet, ideally just one.)

Par Four: As Stirling's 'look forward' and sign-off.

When I say par, I really just mean a line or two. The whole thing should be nice and succinct. If you have to squeeze it onto one page or use a smaller font size, it's too long.

Lots of luck!

thirtysomething Tue 27-Jan-09 17:46:14

thanks all some really useful advice here - I hope I know how to set a letter out (having worked in an admin role for years!!) but it's really helpful to know what else to add in and I can use this advice for other application too so thank you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now