Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Job hunting advice please - bit complicated.

(7 Posts)
smurfgirl Mon 27-Oct-08 15:51:09

I am starting to job hunt and I am really stuck so any help would be welcome.

I am 24 and since I was 18 I have been in full time education, I have an english degree and have nearly finished a nursing degree which is on hold for a while (not sure how long?).

I have only ever really worked minimum wage type jobs, I have been a nanny, and a care assistant in a residential home and in hospitals. I don't want loads of money but I am wanting to earn £6+ an hour.

I really really don't want to do shop work (if i want to work pants hours for not amazing money I will do residential care work)

I can type really fast but i don't have any officy qualifications but I am obviously pretty literate due to english degree. I have seen some admin type jobs advertised for my local NHS trust so was wondering about those?

I also obviously have a huge CV gap due to my nursing course - how do I explain that being uncompleted?? I feel very unemployable at the moment really.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Mon 27-Oct-08 15:53:53

I thought you had finished and had a job smurf? sad

When are you going back to your course?

smurfgirl Mon 27-Oct-08 15:56:08

No it all sort of fell apart rather badly, no idea when I can complete, was supposed to start new job today Oh well.

Just heartbreaking applying for jobs I really don't want because I mucked up the job I did have and now I have no references and a 3 year CV gap to fill

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Mon 27-Oct-08 16:02:34

sad I'm so sorry. I didn't finish my nursing course either, I'm on a radiography one now and appear to be working my way around the NHS!

Apply for any job you can. The admin one would be good or maybe a legal secretary for personal injury as you have medical knowledge? Or a PGCE? I know that it's not ideal but they offer bursaries for english graduates to do these.

I'm so sorry it has not worked out for you. It's just a stage though, it'll get better. Your life's just taking you into another direction at the moment. smile

smurfgirl Mon 27-Oct-08 16:41:50

Thanks, I think I could be good for admin or maybe a ward clerk?? Just worried because I have no qualificatiosna dn now much experience because I have been in uni for so long...

I will apply and see I guess.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Mon 27-Oct-08 16:47:30

smile see it as a chance to sort things out rather than something negative. I'm so pleased I took time off my course, I was so worried at the time because I had ds to care for and bills to pay but I got through. Another door will open when you least expect it. What about nannying? Have they not said when you can go back?

smurfgirl Mon 27-Oct-08 17:45:06

I like the idea of nannying but I live in E.yorks and have just got married and so I need to be live-out and I have no childcare qualifications so would have to be an au-pair which is bad money wise. Hmm. Prob not lots of opportunities in the area!!

Have applied for a couple of admin jobs and will get the job paper on wednesday.

Its complicated about when I can go back so v.up in the air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now